This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daycare Payment

OK ... figuring out how much to pay for CS is easy, based on guidelines and custody arrangmement.

How id Daycare to be paid out figured if it fluctuates sometimes? Or is this figure based on a fixed amount/per month and adjusted at the end of year???

Hubby

It has always been my understanding that daycare costs are the same every week unless the center raises its fees (permanently). In what kind of situation would your fees change?

Comment

The odd time we may keep them there ALL day, double the cost for that day. Seems this is a fixed amount that get adjusted yearly I take it?

Hubby

Comment

Ok, do you mean that they charge by the hour or the half-day? Most of the ones I've checked into around here tell me they bill by the week, and have a 'part-time' rate and a 'full-time' rate. Essentially, you've got up to 'x' amount of hours per week for a part-time rate, and anything over that equals the full-time rate, so I was confused as well as to why your rate would fluctuate.

Now that I've said that, I should apologize, 'cause I don't know squat about how the daycare amounts are set... sorry 'bout that; but I was curious myself.

Comment

No need to aplogize, we ask, so that we may all learn!

Hubby

Comment

I don't know the answer to Hubby's question either, but just a note about daycare prices: it completely depends on where you are. I personally pay by the hour.

Comment

Hubby... you're killing me...

My quick answer is: it depends. Some daycare charge a flat rate regardless of the hours the child spends at the centre (e.g. $400 per month). Some charge by the hour (e.g. $10 per hour). Some bill by the month. Some bill every two weeks. Some are daycare centres and some are in-home care. And anything in between.

Some parents have one parent pay the bill and the other parent pays that parent. Some parents split the bill when it comes basing their pay on section 7. Just watch out who gets the tax receipt. If you split the bill, both parents get a reciept. If one parent paid, and was re-imbursed, again you can get a split bill, or split the tax refund. Or anything in between.

Are you splitting the bill when it comes ewach month. Or is your ex going to pay it each month and you reimburse. Or you paying the for entire year? I am not sure what you set up is.

Comment

DD,

First off, I have not intention of killing you ... you're too valuable to this board and it's members!

I would probably pay my portion based on a percentage of our combined incomes.

My take is that she would be the only one to claim the Daycare expense as all the children would be dependant on her.

For me to claim, one of the children must be a dependant under me ... something she is not comfortable with or willing to do.

I tried explaining that having dependants under both our names based on soul custody would be of a greater tax benefit to the entire family ... she does not see it this way and I believe it is a trust issue that she is dealing with.

Hubby

Comment

Maybe have her talk to an accountant about the situation. Maybe if she hears the same advice from someone not involved with the situation, it might sway her to seeing it your way.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X