Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by failed@life View Post
I wonder if it would make a difference having you SA or court order worded so that both parents are both payers AND recipients, they way you have to have it so that either can claim the Eligible Dependent Credit?

There absolutely is proper wording that CRA likes to see before they will share out the tax benefits to parents who have 50-50 access and use the offset CS system.

Lawyers and judges don't generally have a good handle on it, so it doesn't get used in agreements and court orders, so once you get denied by CRA, you have to get a motion to change done to alter the wording to make CRA happy.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:28 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
There absolutely is proper wording that CRA likes to see before they will share out the tax benefits to parents who have 50-50 access and use the offset CS system.

Lawyers and judges don't generally have a good handle on it, so it doesn't get used in agreements and court orders, so once you get denied by CRA, you have to get a motion to change done to alter the wording to make CRA happy.

Pretty sad state of affairs if lawyers who are practicing family law are not up-to-speed on this. All they need to do is update their templates (which many use for SA and Orders). Sheesh... and they command 400/hr hour... disgusting really.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

I have been claiming legal fees for the past 7 years. The first two I just handed my accountant the itemized legal bills my lawyer had invoiced me and let my accountant add it up. Rev Can asked for a letter from my lawyer to back it up and now that’s all they want each year. I get a refund every year but doesn’t really benefit me or the kids but goes directly to legal bills that I can’t keep up with anymore.