Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 PM

kingstonmomof2 is on a distinguished road
Default Difficulty Sharing Expenses in Shared Acess

I was wondering if any other parents have or have had issues with getting other parents portion of kids expenses paid to you.

I am currently having my lawyer update a current agreement and was HOPING there might be some special wording or terms used to help in this area.

Can we get creative with that part of the agreement when there is a clear track record of one parent consistently not paying on time or at all?

Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:56 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

If you get the wording around % of the expense, you can then file approved expenses (ie other parent agrees in writing) with FRO and then they get the money for you. (Im assuming from your handle youre in Ontario).
Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 PM

I guess I will definitely file with FRO.

Thanks! Can a list of pre approved items be listed in agreement I wonder? To avoid one parent from not "approving" an expense? I am talking reasonable expenses like $150/summer soccer that a child has played for 7 years previous or summer clothes/back to school clothes (uniforms for one so far) I just feel I need to be as wordy as possible or I'm in trouble as I have been in for the past several years.

Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Kids grow out of activities. You cant anticipate what they may be interested in. Best to keep it general and really work together on agreeing.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:08 PM

I wish it were that simple That doesn't work unfortunately My daughter already grew out of that. Son has a year of that left as he is 12. It was really just an example

Unfortunately FRO will be the only way to go.
Thanks Rockscan!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Difficulty Sharing Expenses in Shared Acess

Then this is where the problem is. Youll need specific language like "the parties agree to extra curricular expenses totaling no more than $XXXX for the year to be split proportionate to income" or even an additional $100-200 a month on child support for these activities because he will say no and normally you have to be in agreement on them to recover it. If your agreement says he has to agree and you dont get it in writing, he can dispute the charge with FRO.

Someone more senior or knowledgeable about having a set amount per year (or tacked onto CS) can weigh in though. FRO is great for recovering the money but they can only recover what is legally dictated. And if your ex is a disagreeable person, you'll be banging your head against the wall.

The only drawback is if you agree to a max $2000 or even $100 a month ($1200) youre recovering on his portion of that amount if you end up with a higher cost activity. But something is better than nothing right?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 PM

FirstTimer is on a distinguished road

I end up paying for everything....which sucks but my ex is like that.

However, I would recommend googling Canlii.org and searching. There are TONS of examples you can use from previous court orders on there.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 AM

JCL is on a distinguished road

Hi there. In my agreement, we looked at our expense history for our kids' activities, figured out what my ex's proportionate amount of that monthly expense total was, and put that exact dollar amount into the agreement. Yes, the activities will go up in cost, his annual income could increase thereby changing the proportionate amount, but at least it's a guaranteed amount received, it limits the need to discuss/negotiate, and it's easily enforceable if the ex doesn't pay, since it's a specific dollar amount.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 AM

Thank you FT and JCL. Both great ideas!!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstonmomof2 View Post
I guess I will definitely file with FRO.

Thanks! Can a list of pre approved items be listed in agreement I wonder? To avoid one parent from not "approving" an expense? I am talking reasonable expenses like $150/summer soccer that a child has played for 7 years previous or summer clothes/back to school clothes (uniforms for one so far) I just feel I need to be as wordy as possible or I'm in trouble as I have been in for the past several years.

Thanks again!
$150 for soccer would not be s7 unless you both are in a lower income bracket. A 1 time fee of $150 equates to $12.50 a month annually, which would be c/s.

Edit - Just read the rest of the post. Clothes are also covered under c/s. School uniforms may be covered under c/s, again, income of the parents would determine that. If income is on the lower scale (lower than $40k), then uniforms would likely be s7. If on the higher end of the scale ($75K+), likely not s7. In between is a grey area where it becomes dependent on which judge you get and what day of the week it is, and what the judge ate for breakfast and how well the judge slept last night.

I know if my ex asked for money for uniforms for my D9 (who wears a uniform) I would say that it is covered under the $700+ a month I provide in c/s for one child. My ex hasn't asked for monies for uniforms, likely because she knows with our combined incomes the cost isn't "extraordinary" as required in the legislation.

Last edited by HammerDad; 06-01-2015 at 02:16 PM.