post secondary eduacation and adult children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post secondary eduacation and adult children

I keep reading about this 1/3 contribution by children towards there post secondary expenses. Where is this coming from? Is this law or case law and if its case law is it referenceing Lewi vs Lewi. Last time I spoke to a lawyer I mentioned Lewi vs Lewi and he did not know what I was talking about. If there is anyone out there from Toronto who can recommend a lawyer with experiance in this area that would be much appreciated.

I keep reading about this 1/3 contribution by children towards there post secondary expenses. Where is this coming from? Is this law or case law and if its case law is it referenceing Lewi vs Lewi. Last time I spoke to a lawyer I mentioned Lewi vs Lewi and he did not know what I was talking about. If there is anyone out there from Toronto who can recommend a lawyer with experiance in this area that would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by HammerDad; 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM. Reason: no need for duplicate posts

I see in all the above cases the ex had outstanding support issues unless I missed something regardless every case was a little different.

That's the problem there isn't a hard and fast Rule it's all debatable at 500 bucks an hour for a lawyer.

I know of custodial parents refusing to open RESP accounts or give the approval for an access parent to open one (need primary parents approval from REV CAN to open an account) or Trust Accounts just to ensure an Adult Child is broke along with not encouraging working part time and not applying for OASP loans.

Married Couples have a choice with adult kids. Unmarried ones don't.

The case law is all over the map with adult kids and it obviously varies from applying all those ways and means tests with vague wordy law.

Negotiate, try to come to your own agreements because once the matter hits the Court it won't be resolved until the 2nd year of adult child's post secondary and everybody knows first year kids tend to not like there courses and drop out...in the middle of the proceedings!

There's also no attention paid to who claims the adult child's tax credits and although Orders say to exchange school info it doesn't happen because 18 year old want (told too) keep there own privacy.

If your ex has a high income and the recipient is entitled to substantial sole CS maybe it's worth paying the lawyers bill for a "short term school agreement"

and a last note....Judges love sending these items to FRO and FRO doesn't return Over Support even when a new Order Terminating CS is sent (not there mandate) so be vary wary of adult kids going on to 2 or 3rd degrees. the clearest language possible has to be in Orders for the FRO to end CS without going back to Court
    Last edited by MrToronto; 05-12-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X