I could use some creative opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use some creative opinion.

If you could get a free gift for your kid (anything except motorized vehicles and pets) what would you choose if the kid said you pick for me. Im talking about a kidlet of age 8.

Free travel for 9 days anywhere in the world is an option but I am treating my flight phobia and his mommy is guess what...NOT INTERESTED.

Waiting a year or 2 until I can travel is also an option...if I ever beat it.

Toys....I can't think of anything that will last except perhaps a ps4 or xbox1 with steer wheel set....those ones last 5-10 years.

Meeting a wwe star is allowed but not guaranteed and him being very shy, what's the use?

Give him the gift of experiencing something new:

- private music lessons for a year including the instrument
    - 1 week at one of those very expensive summer camps in Canmore area (you can drive there)
    - season tickets to the Oilers - for son & Dad
    - Ski lessons, season pass to Marmot Basin Ski Resort (Jasper) & hotel - for son & Dad
    Last edited by arabian; 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Love Arabian's ideas. Watch this:
      Spanish Ikea Ad Reminds Parents What Their Kids Need The Most

Comment

When I was 8 all I wanted was a pony.

aw crap you said no pets

Comment

Give the kid an experience, not a "thing". Experiences will give them memories that will last forever, long after the Xbox or whatever is sitting in the closet. I'm saving up for a big trip with my kid to another continent.

In Alberta, there are lots of great summer camps, including ones run by the YMCA, so they aren't tremendously expensive. Another fun summer trip might be to spend a couple of days at Sylvan Lake so Kid can ride all the giant waterslides.

Comment

Thanks guys. Nice ideas. Arabian, I can't stay in a camp..(social phobia?)

He wants 1. D.Land 2. Meeting a WWE superstar and 3, Overseas.

Maybe I should wait and take him Disney Land.

I agree with you stripes that it should be an experience instead of materialistic gift.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iceberg View Post

I agree with you stripes that it should be an experience instead of materialistic gift.
              I would say go to Disney. Kids don't put as much financial emphasis on the cost of the gift. Meeting a WWE superstar may not be as easy especially if he is thinking it would be a long meeting/chat with the person. I am sure if they only say hi and sign an autograph he would be disappointed. Maybe the overseas trip would be better when he gets a bit older. Give him a list of places to go and have him research what he wants to see and give him the final pick.

Comment

Fun as it is to dream, weren't you the one who was moving from crappy basement apartment to crappy basement apartment? No matter how much we love to indulge our kids, maybe your money is better spent elsewhere than on wish fulfillment.

Comment

If you only read the first sentence of my original post....there is a word "free"!!!

Comment

My suspicion, is that this is a "wish" or event, gifted, by an organization? (poster's history, indicates child has history with cancer, I believe it was).

Comment

Social Phobia? Fear of crowds (cross off Disneyland and attending NHL hockey for sure ). Fear of flying? Plan a road trip. Regarding camps, your kid should enjoy the total camp experience. Often times you stay in fairly luxurious surroundings. Parents can chill in the hot tub while kids are off zip-lining. There are MANY options in the way of camps in Alberta and B.C. If you are more adventuresome check out the many camps in the Rockies where you travel on horseback during the day, staying at very nice lodge accommodations at night. Definitely an experience of a lifetime.

(If you can overcome your fear of flying you could check out some father-son fly in fishing resorts.)

Alaska Cruises are supposedly very good with whale watching etc. Lots of activities for kids if you pick the right cruise line. You can drive from Edmonton through mountains to Vancouver and ship departs from there.

Comment

If you only read the first sentence of my original post....there is a word "free"!!!
                        Oops, yes, I didn't see that. Yesterday obviously had insufficient coffee consumption.

Hmm, if it's through a foundation that can arrange something beyond what money can buy, how about something like being an extra in his favourite TV show, or appear in his favourite artist's next music video?

Is he into collectible Pokemon cards or something similar? Maybe he could design a card for the next set.

Sports? He could throw a first pitch, do the coin toss, or whatever is sport-appropriate during a game, or get to hang with a team for a practice.

If he's got a travel bug, maybe a cross-Canada train trip with you? No flying involved, and lots of fabulous sights to see.

Comment

Yes a cross-Canada train trip would be fabulous wouldn't it? Stop in different cities for a day or two. There is a train that runs on Vancouver Island that is supposed to be pretty cool. I think also of the dinosaur area in southern Alberta. Of course central and eastern Canada would be spectacular.

When I travel to Jasper or Banff and speak with tourists who come from all over the world it makes one wonder why more Canadians don't simply stay at home and discover their own country.

Great ideas Rioe!

Comment

Kids Activities & Entertainment | Atlantis, Bahamas

and stop by florida OR take a cruise that includes a few days at disneyworld in florida and the cruise to atlantis in the bahamas.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X