Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process for motion

Please help me understand the steps.

Motion to change a final order in Superior Court Family Court was served on me, I don't consent and am heading to the first court date next week.

My understanding is there they make sure paperwork is filed and they schedule a meeting with a senior lawyer.

What happens next if the parties don't agree? Is there a bunch more conferences or does it proceed to a motion where a judge will make a decision?

Do motion items ever go to trial or does a judge decide on the issues prior to that?
    Only issues are child support, section 7 and arrears. Custody and access were already decided in the final order.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

General procedure for a motion to change:

- Motion is issued, served on other party then filed
    - Other party has 30 days to respond
    - First appearance is scheduled, to set a case conference date or to note the other side in default if they have not responded
    - Case conference proceeds
    - After case conference, parties either have a motion date set down for the final hearing or a settlement conference scheduled
    - After settlement conference there is the final hearing. This is either a motion or, if necessary, a trial of the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post

- First appearance is scheduled, to set a case conference date or to note the other side in default if they have not responded
      - After case conference, parties either have a motion date set down for the final hearing or a settlement conference scheduled
      - After settlement conference there is the final hearing. This is either a motion or, if necessary, a trial of the issues.
      In my motion to change I was given 9 days to show up in court and the temporary decision was made right there. (I did extend the motion date to prepare
      though)

Comment

Iceberg - you and I are from Alberta. My ex brought 6 motions and never once did we have to attend a case conference. Parties have the option of requesting a 'case management judge' so any and all actions go in front of the same judge.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post

Thank you.

What would the court use to determine whether it is a final hearing or a trial at the end?

Comment

What would the court use to determine whether it is a final hearing or a trial at the end?
            The presumption is that it will be argued as a motion.

However, if the issues need a full hearing, for example if the evidence is contradictory and a party wants an opportunity to cross examine the other party, a trial can be Ordered. This can happen in variations of custody/access, particularly if both parties are seeking changes, or if there are complicated income issues.

Citation: CanLII - Family Law Rules, O Reg 114/99

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X