This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When ex is on welfare???

I have recently read some posts which bring up some issues regarding a spouse on welfare. Rather than muddle up those threads thought I'd start a new one, since I have a few questions.

My fiance's ex left Sept '04. She disappeared for 2-3 months and my fiance and the kids did not know where she was. He finally drafted up an SA and when he tracked her down (late Nov '04) they finalized it.

He retained custody of the children, assumed the mortgage, and assumed all debts. Her name was removed from all of these so she had no responsibility for them. He received no CS, even though he had custody. In return, she received $20k and signed off alll other rights, including equalization.

Once she blew through that money (rather quickly) and lost her job (by not showing up), she went on welfare.

Last spring, he filed divorce papers, she refused and filed an answer for spousal support, claiming that he had assets and she was on welfare. After a few months, lots of $$ fees, and a settlement to her, we are hoping it's finally done.

My questions:
    1. Being somewhat familiar with the "social assistance" system, I know that she would be required to make every attempt to obtain support from another source, including SS. I can only assume that she used this agreement to get out of this and stay on welfare. Now that she has received additional support, by challenging the SA, should she be liable to pay back the benefits received? O would he be responsible for this?

2. Our lawyer told us that in order for her not to lose her welfare benefits, that he would have to pay her in a lump sum, for which he would not be able to claim any tax deductions, and she would not have to pay any taxes on. Her lawyer was to hold the money in trust for her, but we now know that she received a lump sum. Something doesn't seem quite right to me here.

Anybody have any thoughts on the matter? I would really like to report her to welfare, just to make sure that she isn't getting any further benefits from them, but this is a small town. Even though welfare reporting is supposedly confidential....besides, I don't want this to cause any more problems for him.

Any advice or experiences you can share would be most appreciated!

Vindictive allegation that could be subject to investigation. Why bother. Appears you have settlement. The onus rests with the individual to claim the monetary amounts received to welfare authorities for consideration when administrating benefits. Not yours.

Comment

I agree with LV...

If she wants to cause a sh!t storm with Welfare... let her.

Whether or not she has to "pay back" any of the money she received is none of your business. Your spouse would not be responsible for this bill...

And why would you bother "reporting" her?

I get that you are now "involved" with her ex husband... but that does not give you the right to interfere.

If your partner has custody of the kids, then she is getting general assistance in the ballpark of $500 a month...

That's chump change.. and not worth your time.

Comment

Originally posted by representingself View Post
        I agree with LV...

If she wants to cause a sh!t storm with Welfare... let her.

Whether or not she has to "pay back" any of the money she received is none of your business. Your spouse would not be responsible for this bill...

And why would you bother "reporting" her?

I get that you are now "involved" with her ex husband... but that does not give you the right to interfere.

If your partner has custody of the kids, then she is getting general assistance in the ballpark of $500 a month...

That's chump change.. and not worth your time.
        I agree on not stirring things up, however knowing that she's not reporting it means the rest of the taxpayers are footing the bill. I, for one, would prefer not to be footing the bill for her and everyone else doing the same thing.
        Last edited by blinkandimgone; 01-22-2011, 08:42 PM. Reason: the voices told me to....

Comment

OK then, give me her name and I will report her deadbeat ass.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I have no intention of reporting her, it would simply stir up trouble and it's not worth my time or trouble. Guess I was just venting. I do agree that it puts a the burden on the taxpayers , though. Hardly seems fair.

My biggest concern was who would be responsible to pay back welfare. This thing has already cost him enough, depleting what little savings he had and putting him further in debt.

Thanks for the offer dadtotheend, I'll get back to you if I change my mind!

Comment

If she is ripping off welfare, then she is commiting fraud, and should be held accountable.

But IMHO, that doesn't mean that you have to get involved in her crappy life. If there is conflict, and you live in a small community, she will undoubtedly believe that you or your spouse reported her... then she will flip her sh!t and do something in retaliation.

You don't need that kind of aggravation.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                OK then, give me her name and I will report her deadbeat ass.
                I agree. Nothing PO's me more then paying a crapload in taxes for some deadbeat to sit on the butt.....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X