This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice?

I've been married for 24 years and have an 18 year old daughter. For all intent and purpose, we've just been co-existing for the past 10 years. I've finally realized that I just can't pretend anymore. I'm not employed outside of the home, but currently receive a paycheck from my husband's company (he's self-employed). How can I get out of this?

Have you spoken to your husband conveying your views to fair resolution. If anything you may receive their position.

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Thank you logicalvelocity

for your response. I am in a difficult position in that I have been unable to find employment and gave up a wonderful job that I had for over 20 years because my husband would not allow me to commute when my job was moved away (about 2 hours away). I would like to know if the law would recognize that I had to give up my career at his insistance?

Comment

welcome to the board. I am not totally sure about the court would say you gave up your career at your husbands insistence. Your job moved 2 hours away and there are not too many people that would drive two hours to work, put in a full day and then two hous to get back home. The judge may look at it that way.

You are not employed outside the home but get a paycheck from your husbands company?? So basically you are employed by him.

Talk to your husband and see if you guys can settle this without too much stress.

Comment

Your paycheck sounds like salary splitting.

Don't turn on him by asking for half (so called entitlement) and he may not turn on you.

Don't look for 1/2 salary and 1/2 his business worth (regardless of the law). Nobody should be able to demand 1/2 the money AND the means by which it is made.

My greedy ex tried that and almost ruined me and herself.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X