Variation on a Temporary Order/Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variation on a Temporary Order/Agreement

With respect to temporary orders, is it possible to bring forward a motion to change a temporary order as opposed to a final order? There have been some material changes in circumstances related to income (wife is earning more, I am earning less) and a trial is months away. Her lawyer has suggested that a variation on an order motion can only be applied to a final order, but this seems at odds with common sense when material change can be demonstrated.

Any thoughts or advice?

Originally posted by Murphy1969 View Post
    With respect to temporary orders, is it possible to bring forward a motion to change a temporary order as opposed to a final order? There have been some material changes in circumstances related to income (wife is earning more, I am earning less) and a trial is months away. Her lawyer has suggested that a variation on an order motion can only be applied to a final order, but this seems at odds with common sense when material change can be demonstrated.

Any thoughts or advice?
    If a trial is months away, then I don't see much point. At upwards of $400 an hour for a lawyers time, it would probably cost more than you would save.

Comment

Self-representing for 4 years - no lawyer required

Still curious though if this is true - can you not bring a motion to change on a temporary agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy1969 View Post
        Self-representing for 4 years - no lawyer required

Still curious though if this is true - can you not bring a motion to change on a temporary agreement?
        I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't you have to go to a new temp order?

A motion to change, as far as I am aware, is on a final order.

Comment

I'm not a lawyer and I'm from Quebec.

Tempororay/Interim Orders are non-prejudicial which means they have no legal value and are just in place to settle a dispute till a proper hearing takes place (protect the rights of the party). They ARE not considered as "Things that have been Judged" - financial aspects ESPECIALLY can theoretically be revised at regular hearings (With witnesses etc....).

Since this is a financial matter, at the final hearing you ask that the support payments be retroactively be adjusted for her income since date X - also ask for disclosure on her income etc...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X