Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:10 PM

Gilligan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherightpath View Post
Gillian

You did mention that your son will be turning 18 soon so in that case, he will be receiving the money directly instead of through his mom. Are you certain that, now (while he is under 18), he gets a T4A?
Yes, I helped complete his taxes and he did indeed receive a T4A. He didn't have to pay taxes last year, but I am doubtfull that mom would agree to assist him. While that would be nice, she wouldn't legally be required to.

@Rockscan, agreed, based on the case law and the information provided here (thanks again to all) there is no point in battling it and wasting time, money and energy not to mention the hard feelings with litigation.

I asked It's because I wasn't getting much in the way of legal advice that I turned to here as well as Canlii as I don't want to bring up something that is irrelevent.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:37 PM

StillPaying is on a distinguished road

Quote:
$257.58 a month
Per child 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
He didn't have to pay taxes last year, but I am doubtfull that mom would agree to assist him. While that would be nice, she wouldn't legally be required to.
No tax return is needed when children make 2k per year. Once they start making enough to require a tax return, the 2k will need to be accounted for. Ex is still paying cs and school/s7. I'm sure they'll have no problem paying the small tax increase...

Quote:
...based on the case law and the information provided here (thanks again to all) there is no point in battling it and wasting time, money and energy not to mention the hard feelings with litigation.

I asked It's because I wasn't getting much in the way of legal advice that I turned to here as well as Canlii as I don't want to bring up something that is irrelevent.
You keep saying you understand, but.... It's greed. You'll get over it
Old 10-08-2021, 02:33 PM

Gilligan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPaying View Post
You keep saying you understand, but.... It's greed. You'll get over it
You are making big assumptions when you know nothing of my situation. I need to address secion 7 as my ex is not contributing towards post-secondary and they are a support receipient (as a result of offset CS)

In order to address this, income needs to be determined which was the point of the post.

I'm not sure why you would call this gread? Knowing what is and is not included in somebody's income is absolutly relevant.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:24 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
You are making big assumptions when you know nothing of my situation. I need to address secion 7 as my ex is not contributing towards post-secondary and they are a support receipient (as a result of offset CS)

In order to address this, income needs to be determined which was the point of the post.

I'm not sure why you would call this gread? Knowing what is and is not included in somebody's income is absolutly relevant.

Not really. Your history indicates you arent happy that your ex is able to not work due to her new partners income. People who ask about a piddly money issue like this one tend to have a bigger issue and by reading your previous threads it shows that money is an issue for you in this.

Unfortunately there are situations on both sides where one spouse is able to downsize their work due to a new partner. Is it fair? Nope. The good news is your kids are reaching the end of the road AND they are getting an education.