Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:25 PM

helenj is on a distinguished road
Default Publicly shaming Fathers

https://www.ontario.ca/page/missing-...support-payors

The above is a government run website that names and shames men who have not paid child support and alimony. Is this acceptable? Should we do this if we do not really know what the situation is?

Should putting an individual in prison for not paying child support (or taking away their drivers license) be acceptable? Would you answer the same way if it was a woman instead of a man?
Old 05-13-2021, 03:30 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

I see nothing about "Fathers".

Clearly says: "We need your help to find missing support payors."

As to your question about prison and drivers license and would my answer be the same if it were women on here: yes. yes.....and yes. You made a kid, now you're responsible for said kid(s).

Not sure I agree with all these for spousal support tho. edit: unless the ex-spouse that requires support has special needs.

Last edited by iona6656; 05-13-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:29 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Shaming parents who dont pay support? I agree to that. Especially since they give parents who do pay support a bad name.

You obviously had a set back in your case as you tend to poke your head up whenever you want to bang your drum about inequality.

I commend FRO for posting that stuff. Too bad they cant imprison them and make them work off their debt. Shame on them for avoiding their responsibilities!

And I say all this as a child of a deadbeat who hid in northern Ontario working for cash to avoid paying support. We had to resort to social assistance due to the lack of support and also do the leg work to try and root him out.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

There are better solutions than jailing parents for not paying support or taking away their licenses. How does that help? Just adds more animosity to already strained situations.

There are cases where further examination is needed. Perchance the parent that is not interested in paying has been denied a proper relationship with child because other parent insisted on having the child 95% of the time? Maybe counseling should be offered to parents who don't pay to show how support helps child regardless of the relationship with the other parent.

Rather than jailing someone or taking away their drivers license (which neither helps provide actual money into someone's hands) the answer could be wage garnishment or independent review of such situations. Perhaps the parent cannot pay because they are ordered to pay beyond what they can actually realistically afford? This is even more true in COVID times where many have fractions of their real salary. For example, with lockdowns, nobody is traveling anywhere so taxi drivers and hospitality staff are only earning 25% of their normal salary. Further, we all know the Table amount does not account for other factors such as existing debt payments.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 PM

If that was the case there would be more photos on that page. These are serious offenders who are avoiding the law. Many people dont realize the underground aspect of this. My husband had a former friend try to coach him in not paying support. He had quit his job to avoid paying cs and ss and worked under the table. I know of one former poster on here whose ex is in for over 20 grand with FRO and hes trying to get his kids to convince her to have it rescinded. He still refuses to admit what he did was wrong AND stole from them when they went to his house.

You can say what you want about the support laws but until youve been raised on food donations, welfare and community health services because your deadbeat parent felt their rights were more important than their kids, you really dont understand. Think about your kids and what you would do to protect them, that chip is missing in these people.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
There are better solutions than jailing parents for not paying support or taking away their licenses. How does that help? Just adds more animosity to already strained situations.

There are cases where further examination is needed. Perchance the parent that is not interested in paying has been denied a proper relationship with child because other parent insisted on having the child 95% of the time? Maybe counseling should be offered to parents who don't pay to show how support helps child regardless of the relationship with the other parent.
Ew. Really? Child support is the right of the child. It has nothing to do with the payor's "feelings", nor rights. It is not a bargaining chip.

Parents who try to use CS as a bargaining tool get shot down pretty quickly. I speak from experience. My ex did this. He withheld CS for 10 months after separation because he didn't feel like he was getting enough time with our daughter. And told me on multiple occasions, he'd start paying as soon he got to see her more. I told him to politely eff off and I wasn't going to bargain with our daughter. It looked terrible on him. He got hit with retroactive payments at settlement.

Counseling should be offered? By who? So you're saying we should hand hold a CS payor through the reasons they shouldn't be a deadbeat?

Quote:
Rather than jailing someone or taking away their drivers license (which neither helps provide actual money into someone's hands) the answer could be wage garnishment or independent review of such situations. Perhaps the parent cannot pay because they are ordered to pay beyond what they can actually realistically afford? This is even more true in COVID times where many have fractions of their real salary. For example, with lockdowns, nobody is traveling anywhere so taxi drivers and hospitality staff are only earning 25% of their normal salary. Further, we all know the Table amount does not account for other factors such as existing debt payments.
Taking away someone's licence sure as hell gets them to pay. I used to settle Small Claims cases for unpaid Provincial Offences fines as part of my previous job. People would skip out on their fines for tickets all. the. time....that is, until their driver's license was suspended. Somehow they always found some extra $$ to then set up a payment plan.

Wage garnishing only works if the person has a job- and FRO does that. An "independent review'- as you call it - is actually called get your act together and bring a motion to change CS and deal with arrears. You can set up a payment plan or reduce the amounts (with proper evidence).

Nothing you have said here is the least bit convincing.

Last edited by iona6656; 05-14-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:39 PM

^Also. Nothing I say above about CS has to do with the issue of access and apportionment of parenting time; which is SUPER problematic as it relates to child support. That's another discussion.

I'm just talking about the straight up responsibility to pay child support.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:25 PM

If you go through and look at the list on the site, all of them work in a field where they can get away with skipping out and working for cash. Some of them have even left the country.

I also encourage anyone wondering if this fair to put themselves in a situation where they have full custody of more than one child, work for less than $30,000 a year and try to raise those kids while their paying parent has skipped town. See how eager you are to not shame them for not paying after that.

There was a case either last year or the year before of a dad who skipped out on his kids and owed over $300,000. He was found on the east cost making a shit ton of money under an alias. He was brought back to Ontario and jailed.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:52 PM

cleanSlate is on a distinguished road

There may be shame but that is not the goal:

"When support payors stop making support payments for at least six months and they cannot be found,"

I would acknowledge a few of them have likely been screwed over unjustly but there is no way to fix that right now.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:57 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see the corresponding page with pictures of people who refuse or limit access of the children to the other parent.