Mortgage renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
    No. I'm basing it on the numbers and info provided. To come to any other conclusion would actually be assuming. Stop making stuff up.

He left the house and hes only paid 5 out of 6 to 12 years. Stop making stuff up.

Spoken with true fairy tale emotional reasoning.
    Isn't spousal support only supposed to about 50% of the length of marriage? My lawyer told me I'm coming close to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
      My lawyer told me I'm going to have a hard time arguing for compensatory spousal support. My ex nearly doubled his income from separation till now but since it has been so long the courts expect me to be more self sufficient since I'm still relatively young. Is this true? I am turning 40 this year.
      honestly- this sounds so troll like to me. anyone else?

Comment

Also- here's a question.

If OP's ex indicates to the Mortgage company that he is separating and the house is a point of contention- or subject to litigation. What happens if mortgage company refuses to renew?

Comment

No. I'm basing it on the numbers and info provided. To come to any other conclusion would actually be assuming. Stop making stuff up.
          You are basing it on what OP has said which is probably incorrect based on her emotion and sense of entitlement. As you see from her two new posts, his income increase was AFTER separation not during.

He left the house and hes only paid 5 out of 6 to 12 years. Stop making stuff up.
          He was paying all the expenses, 100% of section 7 and child support for four years with 50/50. Plus she states his income increase was after separation not during the marriage. Again, there is no proof she is entitled to a certain amount past the five years.

Remember this is a person who quit a 150k a year job to open her own business, is paying her new bf so he can pay his child support, has had all her (and the kids) expenses paid for almost five years now and has just admitted her lawyer said she’s reached the end of her entitlement. Blowing smoke up her ass is only going to prolong this and cost more money in legal fees.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post

It would if I didn’t know a lot of women in the GTA who have this sense of entitlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It would mean he makes poor financial decisions, not much more. Choosing to pay more for mortgage is his choice so shouldn't affect you. I think it'll come down to the items he's paying for rather than every nickel and dime.

You're not paying, so it's hard to use against you. If you were paying the mortgage, you could go to court to force your ex to renew but that's all on him.

~ 😬 smiling and nodding
              His choice is to sell the house and get rid of that debt so anything that increases a cost that he does not agree with should affect her.

Comment

Why do you think I sound like a troll? It's expensive to live in Toronto and with home prices increasing on a daily basis I want to make sure my kids and I can maintain a certain standard of living.

My ex knew what I was capable of making and paid all my bills. He knew before marriage and prior to kids I would need a nanny and housekeeper. Isn't it law that he keeps my standard of living the same?

Comment

Also- here's a question.

If OP's ex indicates to the Mortgage company that he is separating and the house is a point of contention- or subject to litigation. What happens if mortgage company refuses to renew?
                  This would look bad on him. The mortgage is with his primary bank.

Comment

Isn't it law that he keeps my standard of living the same?
                    No it isn't. It's not possible to divide one household into two and maintain the same standard of living.

His obligations to you and the children do consider his income, but maintaining the same standard of living as before separation is not the requirement (or even possible).

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      You are basing it on what OP has said which is probably incorrect based on her emotion and sense of entitlement. As you see from her two new posts, his income increase was AFTER separation not during.

He was paying all the expenses, 100% of section 7 and child support for four years with 50/50. Plus she states his income increase was after separation not during the marriage. Again, there is no proof she is entitled to a certain amount past the five years.

Remember this is a person who quit a 150k a year job to open her own business, is paying her new bf so he can pay his child support, has had all her (and the kids) expenses paid for almost five years now and has just admitted her lawyer said she�s reached the end of her entitlement. Blowing smoke up her ass is only going to prolong this and cost more money in legal fees.
                      His increase in income is from working longer hours and seniority. I don't understand why I can't share in that. I was married to him when he started out.

Comment

His increase in income is from working longer hours and seniority. I don't understand why I can't share in that. I was married to him when he started out.
                        The inclusion of post-separation increases of income is fact specific. In some situations it's possible, in other's it's not. The fact that you were married to him when he started his career is not sufficient, it has to do with the relation of the increases to the time spent in the marriage.

For example, if he was on track to get a huge promotion during the marriage, then separated, and then was promoted. That increase might be included.

If his success comes from activities that are primarily post-separation in nature, it's less likely to be included.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
                          No it isn't. It's not possible to divide one household into two and maintain the same standard of living.

His obligations to you and the children do consider his income, but maintaining the same standard of living as before separation is not the requirement (or even possible).
                          My ex has a higher standard of living than me. Since separation he has hired a housekeeper, a nanny, a personal assistant, and goes on vacation several times a year. He's living a better life than when we got married while expecting me to live with debt and renting. I'm the mother of his children. I didn't decide to divorce. He did

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
                            The inclusion of post-separation increases of income is fact specific. In some situations it's possible, in other's it's not. The fact that you were married to him when he started his career is not sufficient, it has to do with the relation of the increases to the time spent in the marriage.

For example, if he was on track to get a huge promotion during the marriage, then separated, and then was promoted. That increase might be included.

If his success comes from activities that are primarily post-separation in nature, it's less likely to be included.
                            He is doing the same job but at a different company. He's an accountant. He's just making more from seniority and extra hours.

Comment

My ex has a higher standard of living than me. Since separation he has hired a housekeeper, a nanny, a personal assistant, and goes on vacation several times a year. He's living a better life than when we got married while expecting me to live with debt and renting. I'm the mother of his children. I didn't decide to divorce. He did
                              His income (subject to the comments on post-separation increases) is a relevant factor (as is yours). Maintaining absolute parity in standard of living is not. Reiterating your frustrations about the situation does not change this.

All I'm saying is there is no legal obligation to keep you in the same standard of living as prior to separation.

Comment

Mortgage renewal

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post

Canada is no fault divorce land so you’re out of luck with your “I didn’t ask for this” argument.

His income is different for spousal and child support. You can’t say that just because he can afford all this help that you should get the same. His household finances are not relevant to yours. You could have gone out and found a sugar daddy and if he was penniless, he would still be obligated to pay his share even though you have someone to pay your bills. You are not entitled to things just because he has them and continuing to fight for what you aren’t entitled to will only make it worse.

Stop comparing his lifestyle to yours. You quit your job and opened your own business. You created an imbalance in your households. As Kinso said, you can’t split two houses and expect to have the same situation as before. That’s not how it works.

Bottom line is you need to get real with yourself on what you are entitled to. You had four years to get your shit together and didn’t. Your ex is not responsible for you because you didn’t realize you needed to stand on your own two feet.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X