No announcement yet.

Mediation shit show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janus what do you mean who on earth has more than one case conference in Ontario? We had so many I lost count. Each and every one extremely expensive and a total complete waste of time. Same with the motions and multiple TMC’s as well. Man do I wish what you said was true that you could only do one single case conference. That would have been heaven. If there were limits on how many CC’s, motions and TMC’s you could do before the judge had no choice but to allow your matter on the trial list...that would have moved things forward and prevented a lot of the harm that stalling has caused. That would have been heaven!

Comment

...I'm hoping that Janus was being facetious...

Majority of things I've read on this forum over the years reflects the idiocy of multiple, useless case conferences.

Comment

Ive never heard of anyone having one conference.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion between a case conference and other conferences and appearances.

In Ontario, for the most part, everyone has to have 1 case conference.
          After that, motions can be brought anytime. A judge can also send you straight to trial, otherwise everyone has to have 1 settlement conference before a trial can be set.

When 3rd parties are involved it can drag the process out some, and when witnesses or reports are needed judges may order a trial management conference to ensure everyone is ready for trial. Regardless, the main point of court is to get to resolution asap. Judges will have hope in settlement and may make use of each conference, but you should always be moving forward in the process to trial. Parties that keep adjourning for years are doing so by choice imo.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
            There seems to be some confusion between a case conference and other conferences and appearances.
            That could be it, I was certainly not being facetious.

Ontario order of business:
            1) Case Conference
            2A) Motion
            2B) Motion
            2..) Motion
            3) Settlement Conference
            4A) More motions
            4B) More motions.
            5) TMC
            6) Trial

Only one case conference. If you know you are going to trial there are not too many steps involved.

That said, I freely admit that I could be wrong, but anecdotally nobody I know has had more than one case conference. There can be a lot of motions between CC and SC though, that's when parties stake out their turf to create a favourable status quo for trial.

Comment

In my case (any many others) each step has multiple adjournments for various reasons (other side didn’t show, was unprepared, suddenly changed lawyers, was late filing and so need more time to reflect etc).

Comment

Same here with the constant stalling by the other side. No accountability for the legal fees I had to incur because lawyer from other side did this on purpose to line his own pocket. . It's the lawyers that run the show, together with the judges. The system allows this all at the expense of the divorcing couple until their life savings is gone. It's disgusting.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X