No announcement yet.

Ex pushing for French school board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My school board also requires at least one French speaking parent in the household for a child to be enrolled in a French school. I do believe this is a standard requirement. For French immersion there is no requirement for a French speaking adult in the household c

Comment

/popcorn
      /beer

This oughta be good

Comment

After meeting with the principal of the french school yesterday we learned that our son will not be admitted and will have to take immersion in his current school starting in grade 4.

The principal said that having 2 parents who don't speak french was a factor as well as my sons limited abilities in french which he noticed while speaking to him in french. He also noted that had we started him in french school at age 4 then maybe he would be ok, but the fact that he is 6 it will be too hard for him to keep up. We were told that we would be setting him up for failure if we threw him into a french school now.

The principal was open and honest and that was all I expected.

Comment

Teddie: Immersion is a great compromise. Both of my children used/are using those programs and I'd highly recommend them.

Of course, they learn a more formal french but there are excellent opportunities for exchange program travel which you can take advantage of that will help with learning practical french in later grades.

Also, you may want to consider some music training. Training in music helps with math skills...learning rhythm activates the same centers of the brain. And learning a language is eased when you're also studying music...especially before the age of 10 before your "translation" brain kicks in.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
            /popcorn
            /beer

This oughta be good
            I am fully expecting this to turn into a veiled Rosetta Stone advertisement. But what is the truth?

Comment

There is no single truth.

I've taken Sociology, as well as Psychology courses.

I'm not sure if I grasp how a sociological view would alter the debate. But a understanding of how a childs brain develops... well, that's the thrust of that debate, isn't it?

The question being "When is it easiest to learn (multiple) foreign languages, relative to a humans life span."

Maybe I'm just missing the point entirely, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                After meeting with the principal of the french school yesterday we learned that our son will not be admitted and will have to take immersion in his current school starting in grade 4.

The principal said that having 2 parents who don't speak french was a factor as well as my sons limited abilities in french which he noticed while speaking to him in french. He also noted that had we started him in french school at age 4 then maybe he would be ok, but the fact that he is 6 it will be too hard for him to keep up. We were told that we would be setting him up for failure if we threw him into a french school now.

The principal was open and honest and that was all I expected.
                Good result. Cngrats to your kid.

Now - get immersion going. It's still one step towards success.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                  I am fully expecting this to turn into a veiled Rosetta Stone advertisement. But what is the truth?
                  Saw one of these for the first time the other night - hilarious!

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I am still committed to giving my son the resources he needs to learn french skills prior to entering grade 4 immersion. I am happy that he is not going to an all french school especially after what the principal of that school told me the other day.

Maybe while my son learns french I can learn some too as right now my french is weak.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                      Hallelujah.....self awareness finally
                      Yes, I understood you believe you know. Everything. It speaks well for someone to admit they might be wrong. Are you capable of that?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X