No announcement yet.

Counselling to work out separation agreement details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome advice sir, I am going to go pick up the book today.

The advice about evidence is solid, that's what I used to refute all of her allegations.

My next question to you, is what kind of advice can you offer to screen out a lawyer that has experience in high conflict and know that they are going to be fighting for you and not just another dog and pony show.

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I am not a psychologist, however from everything I have seen the following appears true:

Injustice Collector == High Conflict Person == Narcissistic Personality Disorder

I think it's fair to say a good percentage of us are on this forum because we are dealing with one of these creatures.

Here's one of many threads:
    http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-people-15604/

People even write books about this stuff, and here's one that helped me through my nightmare:
    http://www.amazon.com/Splitting-Prot.../dp/1608820254

Given the advanced research and insight into this issue... question becomes why, oh, why, oh why does the legal profession not recognize this disorder/mental illness and deal with it accordingly?

As the books and the articles mention... far and away the biggest victims of this type of behavior are the Children... who are exactly the people the legal system is "supposed" to be helping...

Comment

Originally posted by FirstTimer View Post
      My next question to you, is what kind of advice can you offer to screen out a lawyer that has experience in high conflict and know that they are going to be fighting for you and not just another dog and pony show.
      Wish I could help more but I did my lawyer search based on "Collaborative Family Law", and the sales pitch was everything I hoped. Unlike what you suggest in Alberta, that title in Ontario means nothing.

Once I was sucked into the system, and he realized she was HCP, he passed me off to the pitbull in his office. The pitbull was worse, and had ZERO appreciation for the HCP issue....

If I could do it all over again I would have started the self-rep path *MUCH* sooner. It's certainly worth putting in the effort to learn... because this will (unfortunately) go on for a looooong time...

If you are interviewing lawyers, I can only suggest to be VERY, VERY clear upfront that you are normal and she is HCP... then go from there.

Good luck..

Comment

Thanks, I actually read the entire book last night. It was a great read and I had done alot of what was required in the evidence gathering component side of things. The personality thing was really insightful.

I had had two lawyers and burned through enough money to buy a car that didn't even produce a change. However, on my last court appearance, I self represented and exactly like the book said, I refuted every baseless allegation she had which resulted in a favorable decision for me and provided detailed documentation to the tee which she could not refute on her end.

My gut feeling is we will head to trial and I am debating that I might need a lawyer for trial.....has anyone self repped against a lawyer in trial and won? and what were the biggest things to be aware of?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X