Cellphone = S7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellphone = S7

(Attempted to edit the title to put a question mark at the end, but apparently you can't edit titles).

Ex wants to get Kid a cellphone (I am not convinced she needs a phone at her age, but I'm willing to consider it). His idea is that he would add Kid to his family plan, and then he and I would split the monthly additional monthly cost of having Kid on his plan according to our S7 ratio.

I'm willing to share that cost 50/50 (if we go ahead with it), but I don't like the idea of treating it as S7. I'm concerned about bracket creep. Ex has a history of trying to claim ineligible expenses as S7, like Halloween costumes, bathing suits, babysitting at his place, etc. and then throwing a fit when I don't go along with it.

Our incomes are pretty close, the difference between the S7 ratio and 50/50 would probably amount to an extra $30-40 dollars over a year. So the money isn't the main thing, it's the expansion of what counts as S7 that bothers me. I'd rather stick very strictly with the definitions in the FCSG and the wording in our divorce order.

How do other people handle kids' phone costs? Are there some good precedents out there? It would be nice to not have to deal with ex throwing a fit about this too.

(And BTW - shared parenting week-about, offset CS, I'm the net payor).

Maybe hes trying to increase the decimal place to determine his costs!

Sorry thats not helpful, just trying to make you laugh over his stupid petty calculations.

Comment

^^^ thanks rockscan, sounds like you remember the great decimal-place rounding debate from last year. I'm tempted to get him a calculator with a really big display and a Math Is Fun workbook, but that would be just as petty ...

Comment

... what an absolutely ANAL individual.

Comment

The math workbook and calculator made me laugh out loud. I do remember your decimal place debate(was reading ODF for a while before I actually joined up). I would go with the 50/50 splitting because you are being a good co-parent, not because it is s7. I completely agree that with your ex's previous antics, it would be a bad idea to have the cellphone perceived as s7.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
            ... what an absolutely ANAL individual.
            ...really really hoping you mean him and not me ...

Another ongoing issue has to do with the purchase of ski boots. (These are ski boots for recreational skiiing at local hill, not connected to ski lessons or ski team or anything. Kid has no history of skiiing). Ex wants to buy ski boots for Kid. Fine with me. Ex would like me to share the cost. Fine, I'll pay half. Ex believes ski boots are S7 and so I should pay a share proportionate to income. Not fine with me. And so it goes.

Comment

I definitely was referring to your ex.

(You can purchase next-to-new ski equipment at used sports equipment store and save a tidy amount. Sometimes there are trade/swap sales put on by local ski clubs. Check out the bulletin boards of local ski hills. Also check out kijiji).

Comment

Personally, I think if a child is old enough to have a cell phone, they are old enough to pay for it themselves. Bill her every month, and take it out of her allowance or something. If the phone is going on her dad's plan, have him calculate exactly what the additional cost is, and have her pay it. If he thinks it should be covered by the parents, have her pay half of it and he pays the rest. If you want to supplement her share because you call her a lot, give her a bit of additional money to use to repay her dad.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  I definitely was referring to your ex.

(You can purchase next-to-new ski equipment at used sports equipment store and save a tidy amount. Sometimes there are trade/swap sales put on by local ski clubs. Check out the bulletin boards of local ski hills. Also check out kijiji).
                  Yes, that's what I'm doing now actually, looking for cross-country skis. Kid and I aren't really athletic enough to justify buying brand new gear.

Just got email from ex saying that I must pay S7 share, not 50%, for Kid's ski boots and skates because they are "winter clothing" and our agreement says we will treat necessary winter clothes in excess of $75 as S7. I wrote back saying that I offered to pay half, he can take it or leave it. If he holds true to form, within 24 hours I'll get a follow-up email ten screens long, full of misspellings, incomprehensible calculations, and insults about my greed, lack of concern for Kid's well-being and general awfulness.

Comment

Take your child out and buy them the ski boots. Ignore the phone request. You do not agree she needs one, so do not buy into it.

Explain to your daughter that she can use the house phone and call you or her Dad at any time. No need for a cell phone. Do not jump into a phone plan just. Excuse your ex wants you too. Next she will loose the phone, drop the phone and break it. Then it's $$$ to replace and he will want half.

But then take her out and buy a pair of ski boots. They are inexpensive, positive, healthy and will be a fun outing for you. Hey get yourself a pair and both go out.

Comment

Wow, maybe next he'll ask for you to pay your share for lip balm and moisturizer for kid when she's skiing.

Comment

Ski boots are not necessary winter clothing. Coats hats mitts are all necessary.

Plus, if kid has limited interest in skiing and shes just learning, why not get used or less expensive in case she doesnt want to do it again? Your ex wants expensive ones and you to pay more for his benefit!

Comment

PeacefulMoments, you may think you're joking but I have actually had claims for S7 for hair products used by Kid during her father's parenting time ...

(My favourite is still the retroactive daily charge from a few years ago when ex had Kid for a couple of nights during "my" week when I had to go out of town for business. When I came back, he had worked out that I should pay him an amount equal to [full monthly table support at my guideline income divided by 30] x [number of extra nights Kid was with him] to cover "the additional costs of feeding and entertaining Kid in my home". This is why I never ask him to take Kid for an extra night or to switch weeks around).

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                            Ski boots are not necessary winter clothing. Coats hats mitts are all necessary.

Plus, if kid has limited interest in skiing and shes just learning, why not get used or less expensive in case she doesnt want to do it again? Your ex wants expensive ones and you to pay more for his benefit!
                            Yes, pretty much how I see it.

Kid and I usually go skiing a couple of times each winter at a ski hill just outside town - we have friends that are keen skiers, and we rent equipment as part of a lift ticket package. That fits my skiing needs just fine.

Comment

Its nice that your ex sees your kid as a way to make money off you. Definitely a loving and healthy relationship.

I pity the poor fool who gets mixed up with him in the future!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X