This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorced.

Today, the waiting period for the divorce is over.

I am officially divorced....What a long journey.

Congrats? Ive been there, it wasnt a congrats type of day for me though. Day if reflection.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
      You got the news today on a Sunday?
      No, the judge signed the divorce a month ago but there is the 30 day waiting period. The period is up today. I am officially divorced today. The date was on the court papers.

Comment

Originally posted by takeontheworld View Post
        Congrats? Ive been there, it wasnt a congrats type of day for me though. Day if reflection.
        I actually had forgotten but my Mom called to see how I was doing. I am not sure how to feel. Thoughtful for sure. A little bittersweet. Mostly relieved.

Comment

Hey "divorcee" ! I am relieved for you that the 30 day appeal period is now over. Good! Now you can look forward to starting your new life!

Be good to yourself.

Comment

Free at last, free at last .... good for you. Just curious but how long did the entire process take from start to finish?

Happy future!

Comment

Most people are emotionally/morally "divorced" well before they move apart. But this is the day you can officially change your status on Facebook/PlentyOfFish.

Comment

One of the first things I did was change my cheques to read "Miss _____ ______" and boy did that feel fantastic! I never did change my name to my husband's name when I got married (much to my parent's chagrin) but seeing my name back at where it used to be made me feel very, very good.

Comment

LOL BitHunter, unlike my ex who started dating 6 weeks post separation, I have not yet dated at all. I've been asked but I am not in a position to be a positive, contributing partner in a relationship yet. Too focused on rebuilding my career and ensuring my children are recovering from the effects of the divorce. No time left over for anyone else.

Janibel, it was two years at the begining of September from the day he left. In those two years we settled equalization, support and access. We had conferences and a trial date set but eventually came to our own agreement.

Arabian, yes definitely relieved. I will not change my name back though as I like that it matches my children. Simply easier on many fronts. I was surprised I had forgotten the day was today but that just means I am truly moving on.

Comment

Congratulations SadAndTired - I know it isn't a euphoric sort of happy day, but it's a milestone nonetheless. It's pretty recent for me too to be totally, completely and officially divorced. I remember counting down the 30 days, holding my breath in case there was some last-minute bit of flailing around from the ex.

And it is *fabulous* to have that green divorce order signed by a judge, so I can just say "see paragraph xx", or "as per paragraph yy", rather than having to endure in-depth argumentation over stuff like where D8 will spend Christmas or whether I owe him money for Halloween costumes.

On the dating front, I found that being fully divorced actually did make a difference in terms of my mindset, even though I felt that I'd been emotionally, psychologically and spiritually divorced for ages and that the legal stuff was just the paperwork catching up (and separated for over two years). In some little tiny part of my mind, I was thinking "there's something not quite okay about getting into any of this stuff while you're still legally married". Weird, huh?

Comment

Congratulations. I felt nothing... maybe minor relief... when mine came through.

The signing of the separation agreement was a bigger milestone since it provided a good framework of rules for how to conduct ourselves.

I honestly have only started to feel a sense of relief and freedom and peace after I finished paying SS. I finally have enough income to start to rebuild my life and support myself rather than needing to be supported by friends, family and my girlfriend.

I celebrated that by finally taking my cat to the vet, and getting all the damage to my car fixed. Two things I haven't been able to do since we separated. Next stop: Saving up for a down payment on a house so I can move out of the basement of someone else's house.

Comment

Good job SadAndTired.

All the best in whatever life brings you...

Hopefully your name is meaningless now.

FB

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X