This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop OCL

Well we have managed for the first time to settle all issues BEFORE court......yay ! We are making a final deposit for Section 7 expenses today. Rough time of year to come up with extra money, but a fair deal for both sides so we took it.
    Mom brought in OCL back in February.
    Now she is suggesting "dropping the whole thing".
    I don't think you can just tell OCL that its "all sorted out" Can you?
    I think once the OCL takes the case, they can't be "fired". Or am I wrong?

The OCL's job is do to an assessment. They want to see you settle. As long as there are no risk concerns for the children and if you can reach agreement they will definitely close the file.

If there were risk concerns, the CAS would be involved.

Comment

Ok thanks dadtotheend,
      CAS has been involved in the past, we aren't sure if they are currently. We have tried to get disclosure, but they sent us this letter basically telling us it would take months and could cost us a fortune to get any information.
      We also know for sure the truancy officer after both Mom and son aged 15, as he refuses to go to school at all.
      Not sure what OCL will do at this point. Looks like by the time anything happens the kids will be old enough to decide anyway.

Comment

I got what our worker referred to as a 'summary' letter from CAS for court. You don't normally get full disclosure because people are supposed to be able to call anonymously.

Comment

Thats what we found out. We called first, they said my husband needed to send them a letter of request with photo ID. And that they would give us information that was on the children only but not anyone else. VERY FRUSTRATING. I can't believe a father can't find out why CAS is involved with his own children. They will still provide us with info.......but we basically have to agree ahead of time that we will pay whatever they charge us in admin fees.
          IMHO, both parents, should be given full access unless court order preventing one or other........

Comment

THe request for information falls under the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act. They can't legally release anything about anyone but you and your kids. THey can't tell you anything about the other parent, unless that parent give their written permission.Also, they have a right to charge you for the time it takes to pull the file and sort through for the information you are requesting. Did you at least ask for an estimate of costs?

It does sound like a PITA, but it's to protect you and your kids from just anyone requesting info.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X