Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:11 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalentines View Post
Everyone here is saying the same thing which I agree with, too many parties DO NOT want to change the current system as it is BIG MONEY for Lawyers.
Not everyone was saying this...

I refer to me, and I always agree with me.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:07 PM

CoolGuy41 is on a distinguished road
Default SCC Judgement that ought to make some people think

The Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) Judgement that ought to make some people think is D.B.S. v. S.R.G.

In this judgement, the SCC stated:
Quote:
Per McLachlin C.J. and Bastarache, LeBel and Deschamps JJ.: Parents have an obligation to support their children in a manner commensurate with their income, and this obligation and the childrens concomitant right to support exist independently of any statute or court order.
Forget about the rightness or wrongness of child support per say and look at the larger picture for a second (this will be difficult for some members of this forum). In this judgement the SCC asserts that it has the authority to bestow rights on one group at the expense of another group without any actual statutes (laws on the books) serving as a foundation of that. As long as they can do that, it sort of renders irrelevant legislative debate, democracy, elections, writing letters to MP's and all that bullshit.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:19 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am one of the victims. I've spent $50k in 6 months and I have no access to my kids. This does not include the $50k I will need to pay my criminal lawyer to defend me against my wife's false allegations.
Except you are partially a victim of your own stupid actions. You DID have time with your kids and you didnt like what you had and pushed for moreagainst advice from many people. You did damage to your case yourself.

It is really disingenuous to lump yourself in with thousands of dads who have done all the right things, followed their lawyers advice and dont make boneheaded decisions. Yes the system is messed up but there are a number of people who are true victims of the system and what a lot of you dont get is that many of those people are kids. The ones who arent getting support or have been kidnapped or alienated.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:28 PM

rvalentines is on a distinguished road

Yes - I admit I made stupid decisions. And yes I admit I went against the advice of this community and my OWN lawyer who predicted this would happen. I dismissed it as "fear-mongering".

But it came from a good place. I wanted to see my children 50/50. I was upset that I was only a "weekend dad". It didn't come out of anger but love for my kids and to be more involved.

Should I have been punished for that? Have my access removed? How is that fair to the kids?

I have learned my lesson. I need to listen to experts around me and folks who have already experienced what I've gone through.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes - I admit I made stupid decisions. And yes I admit I went against the advice of this community and my OWN lawyer who predicted this would happen. I dismissed it as "fear-mongering".

But it came from a good place. I wanted to see my children 50/50. I was upset that I was only a "weekend dad". It didn't come out of anger but love for my kids and to be more involved.

Should I have been punished for that? Have my access removed? How is that fair to the kids?

I have learned my lesson. I need to listen to experts around me and folks who have already experienced what I've gone through.
I'm not quite sure if you're an abusive dick or not. Some of your posts have suggested you are...but maybe not.

We all make mistakes during the divorce process. It's a given. Sometimes it's a financial blunder, sometimes it hurts your chances with securing time with your kids. Nothing cannot be undone. Even my ex who threatened to kill his own kid- he gets a second chance at 50/50 and shared custody- he will continue to get that if he listens to his therapist and the people around him (his lawyer). This board is a great wealth of advice- big time. Some of the best advice that got me through my divorce came from people on here- and two pieces come to mind when I read your posts- divorce is a marathon, not a sprint, so pace yourself. Also- divorce is a like a giant apple- take small bites, and don't try to shove the whole thing in your mouth at once.

And this one is from me- emotion will cost you money. Tame your emotions. Emotions means worry- and it means calls and correspondence with your lawyer- probably unnecessarily. Which is going to cost you money - as well as tax you mentally.