Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emails

Hi Everyone

Is it not a good idea to let her Lawyer Know I also have an email from her indicating as we previous agreed she will not be seeking spousal.

I'm just responding to her Lawyer about certain amendments and he is still on about this spousal thing

Originally posted by zanman View Post
    Hi Everyone

Is it not a good idea to let her Lawyer Know I also have an email from her indicating as we previous agreed she will not be seeking spousal.

I'm just responding to her Lawyer about certain amendments and he is still on about this spousal thing
    Was the email from her when she had a lawyer or before she had a lawyer? She could just say she wasn't informed at that time and is now informed. Her Canadian lawyer is going to be on you about spousal support like a mosquito and will buzz around your ears in a similar way until he stings you. That is what he's getting paid to do - to take your money and give it to her client, so he can have something to take home to his kids at the end of the day. I would make him go to trial for it, and appeal it, and refuse any costs claims and make it a living misery that he will remember and regret for the rest of his life.

Comment

I'm not really sure in regards to time frame. I just wanted to say hey your client even last year indicated she was seeking spousal. Or do I keep that to myself until I get served an application

Comment

Hypothetical conversation:

Exwife: "I want spousal"
        Lawyer: "I'm going to get you spousal"
        (you send email)

Lawyer: I got an email saying that you don't want spousal
        Exwife: Oh no! What happens now?
        Lawyer: I think we give up entirely and drop the case
        Exwife: But am I not entitled to spousal?
        Lawyer: You were, but then you sent an email and that trumps everything
        Exwife: Ah well, please inform my ex that I have fully capitulated
        The above scenario is very unlikely.

That said, seriously, what are you trying to do? Convince your ex's lawyer that his client is wrong? He doesn't care. Why would you tell the lawyer anything? He isn't there to negotiate, he isn't there to find a fair solution. He is there to get his client as much as possible. He is your enemy. Don't talk to him, ever.

Comment

Thanks Janus

Its just some on the board have said to work with them regarding amendments to our old agreement we did as he is trying to get it tossed out. But the whole reason this started she is seeking a spousal support claim. We separated in Sept 2014

Comment

Making an offer to settle is one thing. Providing evidence to argue your case is another thing.

eg.

A: My offer is that support be calculated on an imputed income of $30,000 for your client.
            B: Your client always used to talk about how she was going to get a job. I have emails that prove that she wanted to get a job, and newspaper clippings of jobs that she can easily get where she can earn $30,000.

One is for the lawyer, the other is for a judge.

Comment

Janus makes a good point. And to add to that point, look at her lawyer the same way you would look at a Police Officer accusing you of a criminal offense. What you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to remain silent. More than likely he is trying to get all these things from you on consent without having to go through the courts. I sure hope there are things you are asking as well. Shoot for the stars so you have something to negotiate for. If you ask for the minimum, you can be sure that is the maximum you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                Making an offer to settle is one thing. Providing evidence to argue your case is another thing.

eg.

A: My offer is that support be calculated on an imputed income of $30,000 for your client.
                B: Your client always used to talk about how she was going to get a job. I have emails that prove that she wanted to get a job, and newspaper clippings of jobs that she can easily get where she can earn $30,000.

One is for the lawyer, the other is for a judge.
                Excellent point. Too many people play the evidence card wrong when negotiating. You should always keep your cards close to your chest unless they would truly make a difference in the negotiation.

Comment

I didn't answer but in this specific case I agree. I would tell the lawyer, look she already told me she didn't want alimony but I WOULD NOT provide the email in negotiations.

Something like this will happen:
                  Lawyer: Your ex said you said you didn;t want alimony
                  Her: He is lying
                  Trial Evidence Disclosure
                  Lawyer: Umm, I have an email her in the disclosure of you saying you don't want alimony
                  Her: Ummmm....
                  Lawyer: Well know that screws everything up....
                  Trial

They aren't prepared

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    I didn't answer but in this specific case I agree. I would tell the lawyer, look she already told me she didn't want alimony but I WOULD NOT provide the email in negotiations.

Something like this will happen:
                    Lawyer: Your ex said you said you didn;t want alimony
                    Her: He is lying
                    Trial Evidence Disclosure
                    Lawyer: Umm, I have an email her in the disclosure of you saying you don't want alimony
                    Her: Ummmm....
                    Lawyer: Well know that screws everything up....
                    Trial

They aren't prepared
                    I could just imagine the look on that lawyer's face and the blap of BS that would come out from his mouth trying to cover up how ridiculous and embarrassed he is in front of everyone... uhmm your hounour uhmm nuhmm uhmm the email therof was herof not herin therin it was theorof over there of hereout thereout insidie out inside in

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
                      I could just imagine the look on that lawyer's face and the blap of BS that would come out from his mouth trying to cover up how ridiculous and embarrassed he is in front of everyone... uhmm your hounour uhmm nuhmm uhmm the email therof was herof not herin therin it was theorof over there of hereout thereout insidie out inside in
                      This is why honesty (with the court and your lawyer) is very important. Holes like these will screw a litigant in court. You have to be honest and open with your lawyer or they cannot properly litigate your matter.

Comment

Thanks Everyone
                        All great Advice

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X