What is in a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
    Thanks for the link. She does not have sole. But as she is not replacing Dads name but rather adding her own she can only hope.

Anyway, good information.THANKS
    From reading the link provided, if she does not have sole she is required to get Dad's consent as he will have to sign the form as well. This is true even if she wants to add her last name as well. Better to do it correctly then waste the money when denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
      From reading the link provided, if she does not have sole she is required to get Dad's consent as he will have to sign the form as well. This is true even if she wants to add her last name as well. Better to do it correctly then waste the money when denied.
      This is true, however he may as well agree because if he doesn't, their position is to automatically hyphenate alphabetically.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
        This is true, however he may as well agree because if he doesn't, their position is to automatically hyphenate alphabetically.
        I would agree but isn't that more so when the child is first being named as an infant? Now the child has been living for a few years with one name and one parent is seeking a change. More than likely a judge would order the name to be hyphenated but is it automatic without a court order?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Comment

I would agree but isn't that more so when the child is first being named as an infant? Now the child has been living for a few years with one name and one parent is seeking a change. More than likely a judge would order the name to be hyphenated but is it automatic without a court order?

She would like to add her family to childs name. Example ( not real names)

John David Roberts. Would then be John David Taylor-Roberts.

So you would think it would be something he would not object to but he will. So if she puts in the request will they reject it if she does not have his signature. So she would have to get a court order?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
            She would like to add her family to childs name. Example ( not real names)

John David Roberts. Would then be John David Taylor-Roberts.

So you would think it would be something he would not object to but he will. So if she puts in the request will they reject it if she does not have his signature. So she would have to get a court order?
            Maybe I am reading the link wrong but my interpretation would be she would need his consent. It is still a legal name change. Yes it would be silly for him to object because a judge would most likely order the change but yes I do think she needs his signature on the form according to that website

Comment

Neither of my kids have my lastname (not by choice).

It doesn't seem to phase the kids, over the years. Each person in my house has a different lastname, so I guess it's "normal" for us. It does cause some confusion in schools, organizations, but it's quickly explained and I think these days, people are more used to it.

In my case, in each situation, both Mom's originally agreed that children would have my lastname (since theirs would change anyway, when they planned to get married - one later countered, that it should be hyphenated...sure, I was good with that), but both near birth pulled the, "I will sign papers without Dad and not acknowledge child has a Dad" on the birth certificate forms. Mother's can get away with this, with our current laws. But if Dad wants to correct forms to get listed on the form as a father, they need Mom's consent, or a court order to force to have it done.

Classy.

Later on, my one child's Mom got remarried. She ended up hyphenating her name, in a weird way, to keep her maiden name in there, as she felt it was very important that our child have a connection in the name to her (for her, but apparently, not for me?).

For OP, I doubt, given your past posts, that Dad would agree to a name change now, and I doubt that Mom would have much luck in changing a name now in court, since in her case, it sounds like she agreed to the lastname originally. It's less of an issue, the more time passes.
              Last edited by dad2bandm; 11-25-2015, 12:28 PM. Reason: Typo.

Comment

I would agree but isn't that more so when the child is first being named as an infant?...

...More than likely a judge would order the name to be hyphenated but is it automatic without a court order?
                Yes, only when the child is first being named and registered. Now, after-the-fact, both parents consenting would be required in joint custody situation, or a court order imposing a name change.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  Can someone explain to me the difference between the variations of Mohammed? Is it "son of" or something? In my work I constantly stumble over this. Is there a logic or is it just a difference in spelling of a name?
                  Mohammed, Muhammed, Mahmut, Mahmood - it's all the same name, just spelled differently depending on what language the person speaks and where he's from (Iran, Pakistan, Lebanon, Turkey, etc). It means "the praised one" and refers to the founder of Islam. Ahmed (Ahmet, Achmat, etc) is a variation on the name.

Comment

Thanks Stripes.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                      Neither of my kids have my lastname (not by choice).

It doesn't seem to phase the kids, over the years. Each person in my house has a different lastname, so I guess it's "normal" for us. It does cause some confusion in schools, organizations, but it's quickly explained and I think these days, people are more used to it.

In my case, in each situation, both Mom's originally agreed that children would have my lastname (since theirs would change anyway, when they planned to get married - one later countered, that it should be hyphenated...sure, I was good with that), but both near birth pulled the, "I will sign papers without Dad and not acknowledge child has a Dad" on the birth certificate forms. Mother's can get away with this, with our current laws. But if Dad wants to correct forms to get listed on the form as a father, they need Mom's consent, or a court order to force to have it done.

Classy.
                      The above is no longer the case. There was a charter challenge in BC that was won by a dad who said he was discriminated against in the language in the BC legislation relating to the naming of the kids. His ex did as yours did and named the kid with her last name, and said "dad unknown". The court said that discriminated against men/dad's, and tossed. It forced the government to hyphenate the kids name. That was used as case law in Ontario as the Ontario legislation had virtually the same wording. It has now spread further across Canada.

My D10 also only has my ex's last name. It still irks me, but my kid is really well adjusted and relates to both sides of her family. My ex is now engaged and I have been told that she is just hyphenating her last name so she can leave D10's name alone. We've discussed this and I've made it clear that if she opens that can of worms, I will look to get my name in there. To be honest, I am glad she hasn't as neither of us want to create animosity between us, as our relationship is on a very good level (we've been complimented by other parents on our ability to co-parent and friendliness).

However, if we had known then, what we know now in regards to the naming, things may be different.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                        The above is no longer the case. There was a charter challenge in BC that was won by a dad who said he was discriminated against in the language in the BC legislation relating to the naming of the kids. His ex did as yours did and named the kid with her last name, and said "dad unknown". The court said that discriminated against men/dad's, and tossed. It forced the government to hyphenate the kids name. That was used as case law in Ontario as the Ontario legislation had virtually the same wording. It has now spread further across Canada...
                        Interesting, but it doesn't look like the actual forms or registration laws changed yet- or have they just recently? It seems like it's still allowed, unless you go to court and challenge it using this precedent?

Anyway, in my case, the kids are 7 and older, so I think of it as "that ship has sailed". But yes, like you said, had we known differently then.

Comment

Well I think if we had all known what we know now! But as he is the only boy in the family the family name will be lost, so Mom wishes she had included in the original birth registration.

But it may be a battle not worth fighting!

Comment

Neither parent needs a judge to make the change. You apply through the registrar of Ontario, give notice to the other parent and if it's contested then it automatically gets hyphenated alphabetically. Going to court over it is a complete and total waste of time, money and taxpayers money.

The other parent has the option to contest it, if they don't contest it then it goes through. If it's contested it gets hyphenated.

Comment

Thankyou thats intetesting

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                                Neither parent needs a judge to make the change. You apply through the registrar of Ontario, give notice to the other parent and if it's contested then it automatically gets hyphenated alphabetically. Going to court over it is a complete and total waste of time, money and taxpayers money.

The other parent has the option to contest it, if they don't contest it then it goes through. If it's contested it gets hyphenated.
                                But this would only happen if the mother identifies the father on the registration, which she is not required to do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X