This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table amount change options

I have joint custody and have had just under 40% access which is about to change to 50%.
    Our S/A states that I pay table amount only and no section 7 exp. due to my percentage of time with the kids.

So as it stands now my X pays all the expenses plus, books, sports fees etc etc and I pay table with near 38% access.

Background:
    I live alone and my X is remarried.
    My income is approx 90k
    Her income was approx 45k but she quit her job last year to a babysitter for I assume about 30k-35k.
    One child in Jr. HS. other in gr. 4 so daycare isn't an issue.
    Her spouse est. income 60k.

I would like to consider seeking a change in our S/A support provisions to the offset method where based on incomes I would likely pay her about $500/mo less but of course have to pay my share of clothes, section 7 etc etc, still likely the $6000 less I pay her would be more than enough to cover that.

From the info on the federal family law sites it seems like the set-off method is somewhat of a standard, like the tables are for calculating support, is that true?. From what I read the guidelines refer to the set-off method as one acceptable way of calculating support obligation for 50/50 situations with differing incomes.

Given that my access has changed to 50% is it likely that a judge would accept my application and order the set-off method for calculating support?

I did the rough calculations for standard of living and with my x's family income including my projected support contribution using the set-off method and my household has the lower standard of living.
    I don't want to ask for a change because she remarried, I simply state this because it should IMO prevent her from claiming undue hardship because my income is 3x hers.

I believe the 50% access change constitutes a material change and should merit amendment of our S/A support provisions.

Interesting..

High Paytable2,

I will be interested to see the answers to this one as well. It feels like I have received a different answer every time I have asked this question.

The offset method is the answer I got here on Otawa divorce, browsing the web has shown a couple experiences at agreeing on a lower rate, My lawyer says that a judge may decide full table amount, more, less, or offset method.

I have posted another thread that noone has responded too asking how to get a self created motion to vary CS..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X