This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!
    I'm taking a lesson out of this and thinking about how I will include arrangements for University in my separation agreement now. She's only 3, but I don't want this PITA later.

Personally I think the CS should be going towards housing for the child (he/she is paying rent or residence fees) and you should be able to write a cheque directly to your child for that (or even the school) I know that's not the law, but it's common sense.

Most college students do not want to spend their weekends with their parents. I doubt your child will be home for all of them. Wait and see how many times you get to see them during your regular access time. Probably not all of them, but you ex won't see him/her as often either.

Good luck with this. It sounds like a horrible nightmare

Comment

Thank you billiechic.

I gave my proposal to my ex 3 days ago and now am waiting for the nasty letter from her lawyer. I'm expecting it today or tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

In the meantime I am being pro-active in seeking for a lawyer in the Markham area. Let me know if anyone can recommend a good lawyer in Markham / Richmond Hill.

Comment

The percentage game:

Sorry but I feel a rant coming on:

I had 0% say in her filling for divorce after I found out she was cheating on me.

She gets 50% of everything I worked for because she had to be a stay at home mom because god forbid a stranger would be capable of looking after the kids.

Now she's entitled to 70% of costs because she doesn't make as much as me. Did I mention she cheated on me and filled when caught!!!

Fair is just another four letter F word.

The part that kills me is she considers the amount of CS received as her contribution to my daughter and she expects 70% more on top of that.
        I'm in the process of going back to court now.

Comment

Hello everyone. Thought Id give my 2 cents (thousands) to this subject since on July 23 2009 I was in court for this exact reason. I was paying cs for 2 kids over 18 and in post secondary. They were both living away from home and the ex was getting the cs (1600/mth for 4 kids) Since 2006, my daughter now 22 (not biologically) was attending college. In 2007 my son now 21 (not biologically) started a course in Sarnia Ont. This July after a big court case which I reprented myself my ex was seeking over 50000 for their educational expenses. Here is exactly what the judge said in my case. The child will be responsible for 1/3 of their total cost of their education. The parents will be responsible for the other 2/3 for the remaining costs after burseries, grants etc. The judge gave me credit for all the child support that I paid since they were in school that was paid to their mother. I will now have to pay the remainder of the 2/3 of their education ($23000) All in all their education together is approx. $80000 but the judge told my ex that their was only so much money to go around. The kicker in all of this is the cheque will go to my ex not the kids. thats the only thing I dont like about the ruling. I will write an emailto each of the kids to make them aware of how much money has changed hands and let them take it up with their mother. Its all I can do. My ex was looking for more then $50000 in all of this but I had all the receipts and calculations that proved she was askingfor too much. I came out of court with $5000 more then I had calculated but was happy that it wasnt over $50000. Pays to do some homework. Feel free to email with any questions.

Comment

OttawaM43 - Thank you very much for your message.

Your result from your case is very uplifting and encouraging. I can only hope for a fraction of reason and fairness with my case.

Is there any documentation from your case that I can use for my case?

Comment

After the papers and cheque has changed hands I would be willing to give you the case number and the court in which you could find the manuscript. I think that this would be public record unless someone on here can tell me if doing this would be somewhat illegal or if it opens up a can of worms for my next 2 kids in the future. Did I mention that dealing with FRO for the last 5 years has been a nightmare? Thats the next chapter in this saga. I will set my sights on them in the next couple of weeks. More to follow.

Comment

Classic glad I could help although slightly......

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X