X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support when child turns 18?

Hello,

I am a year away from my child turning 18 years old, has anyone gone through the transition of stopping the Family Support payments (in Ontario)? What happens and are there any documents I need to prepare before she turns 18?

Is she going to go to post secondary school?

Comment

If your child is still in school (dont include summer months) you are still responsible until your child is finished, drops out, obtains full time employment or moves to live with you on full time basis

Comment

what if the child moves out to go to university?

If my daughter moves out and lives out on her own, why would I have to pay CS? I would still be responsible for my share of the expenses, but how can you justify CS?

Comment

she is still considered a dependant at that point......you are responsible for half tuition, half living expenses, etc.......think of it if you were still married......and your daughter went away to school.....you are still responsible.....regardless whether she lives at home or away you get half the bill.....location doesnt matter......sorry

Comment

But, if she moved out, I would pay my portion of her tuition, living expenses, food, etc.... I have no problem with this part.

But, why would I continue paying CS to my ex. We currently have shared custody, so paying the net amount. She would pay her portion of the expenses as well.

However, she would not have any increased cost, as if my daughter was still living with us. You can't argue that the CS is to pay for housing or food since she no longer lives with my ex and these expenses would be covered by the special expenses.

Comment

in the courts eyes you are responsible......Im not saying is the way it should be......that may be weird to read even though I am custodial parent.......these would be classed as section 7 expesnes however depending on what your ratio to income is to hers you may want to stay with things the way they are......if you are paying 65% of extra expenses plus support then what you are suggesting is you would be responsible for 65% of the post secondary education along with support........eveything is in the wording

Comment

If the child has moved out, going to university full time, has their own apartment and doesn't live or intend to live with mom anymore, then you shouldn't pay support and the court would not make you AFAIK. You would still be responsible for the child's tuititon and expenses, or a portion of them. If the child has completely moved out, then how could they be living with one parent and not the other?

If the child still maintains the other parent's home as their "home", and may be in residence most of the year but returns home, then a court would probably give you a break if you wanted to take it to court. Would it be worth it? In the eyes of the court, the other parent is still maintaining the child's room and can't downsize the residence, use the space for themselves, etc. The other parent is still custodial and responsible for the child, any emergencies, etc. The court would presume that there would still be expense.

I don't necessarily agree with the second scenario, but the courts take that side, I've read cases on canlii arguing such.

Comment

if your child goes away to post secondary Im not suggesting you continue to pay the custodial parent.....pay the child directly......

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                    If the child has moved out, going to university full time, has their own apartment and doesn't live or intend to live with mom anymore, then you shouldn't pay support and the court would not make you AFAIK. You would still be responsible for the child's tuititon and expenses, or a portion of them. If the child has completely moved out, then how could they be living with one parent and not the other?

If the child still maintains the other parent's home as their "home", and may be in residence most of the year but returns home, then a court would probably give you a break if you wanted to take it to court. Would it be worth it? In the eyes of the court, the other parent is still maintaining the child's room and can't downsize the residence, use the space for themselves, etc. The other parent is still custodial and responsible for the child, any emergencies, etc. The court would presume that there would still be expense.

I don't necessarily agree with the second scenario, but the courts take that side, I've read cases on canlii arguing such.
                    I suppose the issue is if the child intends to return home.

Most parents don't down size the moment the child leaves for university, but mostly after they graduate. So maintaining the home for the child is still normal even if they live away from home most of the year. Also, clothing and other non house related expenses still exist. Also what about food and daily expenses (other than housing) for the child while at school - that should fall under CS.

So really when a child goes away, CS should probably not be reduced BUT the parent receiving the child support should pay for all food, clothing, and other daily non school related expenses. In the case of shared custody affecting CS, you would split those expense accordingly.

I am in the process of writing up my agreement for these kinds of things (how to end CS and deal with post secondary - current CS/SS/Property already done) so I am thinking a lot about this.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
                      I suppose the issue is if the child intends to return home.

Most parents don't down size the moment the child leaves for university, but mostly after they graduate. So maintaining the home for the child is still normal even if they live away from home most of the year. Also, clothing and other non house related expenses still exist. Also what about food and daily expenses (other than housing) for the child while at school - that should fall under CS.

So really when a child goes away, CS should probably not be reduced BUT the parent receiving the child support should pay for all food, clothing, and other daily non school related expenses. In the case of shared custody affecting CS, you would split those expense accordingly.

I am in the process of writing up my agreement for these kinds of things (how to end CS and deal with post secondary - current CS/SS/Property already done) so I am thinking a lot about this.
                      I tried to put in the agreement that CS ends when she graduates from high school, not sure if she'll accept it. I did not mention it, so she should just read over it and ignore it. Hopefully.

I think the food, clothing and all other normal expenses, that are incurred while at university would be post-secondary expenses and not regular expenses. So, they would not be part of the CS.

If she lives on campus, she would visit either parents less then 40% of the time. She'd be 80% independent and 10% with each parent, so neither parent would hit the threshold to be considered custodial parent.

I'm probably over thinking this, and most judges would probably rule against me. I don't mind paying the amount, I would just hate for my ex to pocket the money and I end up having to pay for most of the education anyways.

Comment

easy way to make sure ex doesnt pocket the money give directly to your child instead.......chld is adult @ 18 years old and your ex has no say then......give child cheques or direct transfers to bank account......avoid ex and confrontation thats all

Comment

Originally posted by littleman View Post
                          easy way to make sure ex doesnt pocket the money give directly to your child instead.......chld is adult @ 18 years old and your ex has no say then......give child cheques or direct transfers to bank account......avoid ex and confrontation thats all
                          Can you legally do this? Meaning if it went to court would the CS be considered paid? I would worry about that.

Anyway, the CS is to be used to maintain the custodial parents home, so I don't see this as a reasonable option.

Comment

If you word it into the separation agreement that you agree to support the child directly after age 18 if she is in post-sec, then the courts would probably be okay with that.

The courts wont support an agreement that says you don't pay anything. They won't support an agreement that doesn't take care of the child's needs. If the agreement is clear that the child's needs will be met, then it should stand up.

Maybe it would say that CS will be paid directly to child after age 18 if she is in school. Then she can pay rent to her mum, or move out, her choice. The courts would be good with that if it was challenged, your ex should be ok with it if she is being fair and honest. If she is being controlling, she will reject it, but that will tell you a lot about where this is going.

Comment

Originally posted by littleman View Post
                              you are responsible for half tuition, half living expenses, etc.......
                              I don't mean to wade in on this but how can that be when many kids in university don't receive this support from parents who are still together?

I paid everything myself for example and while that wasn't fun, that was the only choice.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X