X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mediation probably won't work

Comment

my trial and the proceeding cost 350,000.00 dollars in legals.

Comment

350 000? That's possible? I wouldn't want to self represent. Too large of a risk and my child's safety at stake. I'm just going to have to suck it up. How often do lawyers require the other party help with costs if they drag it out and don't want to compromise etc?

Comment

Also I have not seen my kids for two years and she uses the system and spends my money with a rogoue lawyer so I will not see my kids .

Comment

how is that possible? she can't keep you from seeing your kids, that's wrong. My ex has all sorts of issues and I still won't keep him for seeing our daughter. Just has to be in a safe environment.

Comment

My lawyer says if the other party drags out court proceedings, then they could probably get the other party to pay back some of the costs with my lawyers bill. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but there has to be some deterrent for prolonging things.

Comment

deterent??? why? where else can you see the lawyers just getting richer if they can get you both to blindly fight, to spend 10 times in legal fees than any item is worth that you may wish to keep. And the courts that charge you both win or lose - the courts always get paid!!!!!

You are the deterent - the only deterent. By controlling your lawyer and what he/she will do and ultimately charge and if you have an ex who is non communative???? good luck because I will put it out there that your legal fees have just doubled even if there is costs awarded to your side at the end.

In the end it is up to you to understand the process, to not spend one dollar if it DOES NOT GET YOU CLOSER TO YOUR GOAL!!!! (divorce). I have yet to even really start and my only dream is a nightmare of lawyer fees, running out of money and still not any closer to a settlement than when I started....... this is my only dream.......

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                  janedoe99,

nobody can give you ballpark amount and never heard something like monthly payments.
                  Depends on the lawyer/firm and the case/situation. A friend of mine is making monthly payments on costs incurred for a settlement. The lawyer knew his financial situation, he had no choice but to simply say: "I'm sorry, i can't squeeze blood from a stone, either you ditch me and cancel the whole thing because I can't fork out the entire amount now, or you accept my proposal for monthly payments of X amount until it's paid off." They decided to go with monthly payments so they could settle the case. Refreshingly sensible, for a change.

Comment

From an family lawyer here in NB, with nearly 35 years of experience....

A "high conflict" family law case (with trial) will run on average of 10-30,000 over 1-3 years before a final order is in place. That DOES NOT include other costs associated like assessment fees/etc. from third parties. That's JUST the legal fees.

Comment

Question to all!!! (maybe this is not a question????)

Costs is a topic so sensitive to all who still face this uncertainty. For myself and I am sure every other person I would give anything to be able to know. My greatest fear is not knowing.

Useful for all would be a set of "guidelines" on how to keep the costs in check if one is faced with requiring the lawyer (so self rep is out - and respectfully to all who have done so I recognize how difficult this must be given the circumstances) But ideas like:

How to get through a high conflict case - no negotiation/silence of the other party - unreasonable responses/requests (with no solid backup or documentation to support that unreasonable................

How to get "the most bang for your buck"

How to go about getting a fair settlement? (what is fair???) but to do so and not just having to give up - no - to willingly let your shirt be ripped off your back

I know I have asked this in the past - maybe there is no real answer except to control the billable hours..... would be nice if there could be a clause that gave the client the right to say no to a lawyer being forced to spend time on responding to unnecessary requests or chasing after disclosure that the other party elects to refuse even to the point of refusing when there is a court order in place but nothing changes except the clients retainer going down, down, down the drain............

Comment

Costs

Unfortunately costs are not truly determined by the lawyers,, depending on the case. I have spent over 200k with lawyers and forensic accountants to get disclosure, this is even with a court order. My x continues to ignore requests or trickle information in over a 3 year period. We have more than doubled his income, so I dont put any blame on the lawyers. If both parties are working to an end and being fair the lawyers could never be able to charge the amount of billable hours that some do.
                        My blame is not directed towards the lawyers it is towards the lack of cooperation from my x .
                        I do intend to get most of these costs returned, as it will not be difficult to show the lack of cooperation and the lies and deceit, playing catch me if you can---hahahaha I can I can.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X