Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:35 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Its too bad they cant introduce a fee for stupid stuff like this. Withholding your kids unreasonably? $1000 in addition to legal fees. Almost like a contempt fee. Might reduce the stupidity.

My husband was lucky to have a good lawyer who was up front with him about costs. He would tell us flat out we would lose and how much it would cost us.

Thats how lawyers should work... I have a friend going through divorce... hes already spent $10k and basically got no where... hes scrapping by while paying for the mat home his ex is living in and hes living with his parents... his ex constantly brags about how she hasnt had to pay a penny to her lawyer because shell pay him at the end... says hes a fool for paying a lawyer upfront... his ex has never got a bill from her lawyer... hes tried to tell her how much this is costing them both but shes had no out of pocket expenses so she doesnt care... shes going to get her eyes open when that big equalization payment shes expecting is cut in half by lawyer fees...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2020, 01:35 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Its too bad they cant introduce a fee for stupid stuff like this. Withholding your kids unreasonably? $1000 in addition to legal fees. Almost like a contempt fee. Might reduce the stupidity.

My husband was lucky to have a good lawyer who was up front with him about costs. He would tell us flat out we would lose and how much it would cost us.
This would be great (if paid by the client, not the lawyer). And the 'fees' should be put into funding access to family law advice. Like a victim surcharge fee in criminal court.

Last edited by Kinso; 04-14-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:35 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

In my husbands case his lawyer was always up front with us on what will and wont happen. I also had the benefit of this forum and I did a lot of research. The beauty was that he had an emotional response and I had a rational response backed up by his lawyer. The lawyer was completely honest about his boundaries and what he would and wouldnt do. My husband understood his obligations and had no problem paying what he was told to pay.

In the case of his ex, she had a lawyer on limited scope retainer. Whether that lawyer told her she was crazy or not is unknown but when he finally got involved the matter settled quickly and he was much more reasonable than she was. Not that it stopped the false allegations, revisionist history and lack of documentation. They ended up settling at the exact amount he would have paid had this not gone to court. Give or take a few hundred. She would have ended up with $200 more had she not done it and he may have saved about $500 in education costs. In the end they spent approximately $16,000 combined on lawyers plus the four years of mental anguish.

If there had been a fee or even a better check on this stuff it never would have gotten that far. Even with her paying costs for a motion she lost, she still continued with the lies and even tried to defend herself against stuff the judge said.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

$16,000 sounds very low considering what many families have been charged. Treating family law like civil litigation is atrocious. But it will never change from within.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:27 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba435 View Post
But it will never change from within.
It will need the combined efforts of Judges, lawyers, academics, court staff, parliament and the public.

Good luck getting all of those to move in lockstep.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinso View Post
It will need the combined efforts of Judges, lawyers, academics, court staff, parliament and the public.

Good luck getting all of those to move in lockstep.
Might happen before we colonize Mars
Maybe Jupiter
Old 04-16-2020, 04:34 PM

Donald Duck is on a distinguished road

How do I file an urgent motion please?

Does anyone have a link please ?

Also , how difficult is it to do for a self represented litigant please ?

Issues have been covered on this thread , its simply that my son's mom has unilaterally cancelled all access to my child.

Thanks in advance and thank you to everyone for an absolute incredible forum !!!!!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:57 AM

lulubuttons is on a distinguished road

Tayken posted a link in another thread that I started (search this). In that thread it has all of the steps laid out in the posts of how to do this (and even links to forms).

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubuttons View Post
Tayken posted a link in another thread that I started (search this). In that thread it has all of the steps laid out in the posts of how to do this (and even links to forms).

Good luck.
Thank you very much !!!!

Very appreciated ,
Old 04-17-2020, 02:08 PM

Found it !!!!!

Thank you