No announcement yet.

Can I communicate with the layer on the other side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant the retroactive CS, not the on going CS. I read an article online saying kids voluntarily withdraw from the parent and maintain no relationship with the parent in the past are still entitled to CS but not the retro CS.

Comment

I haven’t seen any cases of that.

Comment

See this https://shawyerlaw.ca/services/child-support/

“However, a child who did not have a relationship with the paying parent during their childhood cannot make a claim for retroactive support once they voluntarily withdraw from parental care/control.”

Not sure it is the rule of the thumb or case law. Any typical way to find a specific case law?

Comment

I think you are worrying about something that probably won’t happen. If you choose to pay ongoing support with annual adjustments there is no issue.

Besides, your ex would come back anyway when the money runs out whether or not she was entitled.

Comment

A lawyer told that as I am on disability leave, it should be OK if she signed the agreement that she is aware of my health issues, she won't claim further CS later on if I am off work in the future. The judge usually won't order periodic CS again as the custody parent agreed to the advanced CS given the awareness of the payer parent's health status, and the payer is off work after the lump sum CS paid. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks

Comment

I have never heard of this. People on EI still have to pay cs so I doubt a judge will say no for LTD. Not to mention lump sum cs does not cover school expenses which you are also obligated to pay.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X