Adjusting child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting child support

My ex and I have exchanged income information and are supposed to adjust child support. We have offset child support. I'm puzzled on how to start the calculations. Is it June 2020 to June 2021? Or January 2020 to January 2021? Any tips on how to calculate retro child support as I made more this year?
    thanks

If your agreement says exchange and update July 1 then you update going forward from July 1. If you made more money January to July it will adjust next year.

Comment

Also, the real real answer is "whatever your ex wants" because honestly it will hardly make a difference. This is not a hill to die on.

Comment

I am also a bit confused about that one.
        From my understanding:
        1- by July of each year the previous year Notice of Assessment are exchanged
        2- Enter the total income from NOA in the child support calculation table
        3- Compare how much you paid in the previous year vs what the table said you should have paid
        4- adjustment are paid between parties
        5- starting on July 1st of this year you make payment until July of the next year based on the last NOA you use
        6-next year you start this process over again
        Am I missing something?

Comment

Technically child support is based on the most up to date income and is easily determined by using your NOA each year. This works perfectly for people who don’t have changes in their incomes that are significant. The amounts regulate from year to year.

Where issues come in is where there are annual changes in income or custody. If the payor earns a lot in one year and then loses their job and wants to adjust down outside of the annual review, they need to review what they should have been paying and THEN adjust down.

There’s also an adjustment needed say if you adjust for the coming year and offset happens. The child should have been receiving the higher amount in the non offset situation. For instance, if the payor was paying based on a lower amount for the full table amount and it turns out they earned more in the year but will be adjusted down for offset. Example: the payor was paying on $50,000 in year 1 and was paying cs based on that in year 2. Year 2 income disclosure is $60,000 and is used for year 3 support which is offset. The payor SHOULD go back and determine what full support on that income for year 2 was and pay the arrears but use current income expected in year 3 for offset in year 3.

It’s only confusing for people who don’t want to pay and those who think they should get more cs when it’s not applicable.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X