Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:32 AM

cleanSlate is on a distinguished road
Default Moving

Here we go again, I have seen some of the ruling and threads:

I did own a house, then I got married. Don't get married.
The housing market is not getting better and has gotten significantly worse over the last few years.
Is this a material change?

There are 2 children with joint custody.
One child is with me. The other is split.
Our court order states that we live in the local city/town.

Housing is not affordable, I want to put my kids and me somewhere stable and provide security for our futures, about 50 minutes away near post secondary education and a good community on par with the community we live in now.

I would have to drive a child to school every second week. About 2 hours of car time per day for probably 10 years.

I need some input on how this might be looked at in court. Questions anyone?

thanks.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:40 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanSlate View Post
Here we go again, I have seen some of the ruling and threads:

I did own a house, then I got married. Don't get married.
The housing market is not getting better and has gotten significantly worse over the last few years.
Is this a material change?

There are 2 children with joint custody.
One child is with me. The other is split.
Our court order states that we live in the local city/town.

Housing is not affordable, I want to put my kids and me somewhere stable and provide security for our futures, about 50 minutes away near post secondary education and a good community on par with the community we live in now.

I would have to drive a child to school every second week. About 2 hours of car time per day for probably 10 years.

I need some input on how this might be looked at in court. Questions anyone?

thanks.
If you don't move the school for the children and take on the driving then I don't see it as a problem where you reside with the children. As well, if you continue with the same sports programs in the same region it shouldn't be an issue.

I have seen courts allow parents to reside within specific radius from the children's school. Think of it in that regard and using the school as the center point for the radius and you should be ok. If the school and extra curricular activities don't change then what impact is it to the other parent or more importantly to the children.

1hr commute to school is not abnormal. Many rural children sit on buses for much longer to get back and forth to school.