Common Law Separation Agreement Drafting Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law Separation Agreement Drafting Recommendations

Has anyone used a law firms that offers a package/flat fee for drafting a separation agreement?

My ex and I were common law (Ontario) and we have verbally come to an agreement on what to do with separating our properties (principal home and rental property that we purchased together).

I talked to several lawyer and they want $2000 retainer up front to draft the agreement. However, I am afraid that because they are not able to tell me the limit of what the process will cost or the average cost that they would use up the retainer quickly and I would need to pay more.

I have come across one flat rate separation agreement for $1400.

Any recommendations if I should go with these flat fee package or go with a lawyer that ask for a retainer up front?
    Any recommendations for specific lawyer?

Flat fee is dangerous for this as it's not possible to know how much negotiation will be needed. I'd be weary of flat fee.

Comment

as long as you and your ex agree then you can keep costs down.

Comment

as long as you and your ex agree then you can keep costs down.
        100% true. Drafting is the easy part... it's the negotiation that eats up hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
          100% true. Drafting is the easy part... it's the negotiation that eats up hours.
          Because both parties will require independent legal advice and if they apply the template wrong it will take a lot of unwinding to get done by legal counsel especially if one party is getting the short end of the stick.

I agree. Flat fee is really = marketing guck to get you in the door of the law firm.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X