Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough
Default Trolled by Ford Nation

Dear Toronto: You're Being Trolled By Ford Nation

An excellent article, about more than just Rob Ford...

Quote:
You're on the Internet, and you're trying to explain something sensible to someone, and they're heaping abuse on you? And when you start to make headway with a point, they sideslip into something totally irrelevant? And everything that is obviously subjective is objective to them? And everything obviously objective is subjective to them?

I have this nightmare too: It's called being trolled. The primary characteristic of being trolled is when you are trying to achieve something positive, but can't make any headway because the other party's agenda is to disrupt and hijack the conversation.
And it's on more than just the internet. I spent 11 years married to someone who did this in person.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM

caranna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

And it's on more than just the internet. I spent 11 years married to someone who did this in person.
God help Toronto......

Ford Nation T-shirts featuring Ford Motor Company logo appear at city hall - Toronto | Globalnews.ca
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM

HappyMomma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

LOL! Me too (Only common-law, not married!) Bullshit baffles the brain, right?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM

I have been watching the City council meeting this morning. They have adjourned for lunch break and will be back shortly. I found Councillors' Mammoliti and Minnan-Wongs' questions particularly relevant and interesting.

As for commenting on my marriage, I will say that, yes, I experienced this above-mentioned crazy-making type of behaviour in spades. I was also struck by how much my to-be-ex resembles Rob Ford in his behaviour. Hostility, anger, denials, refusals to apologize for what really happened.

LIVE UPDATES: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells council he’s bought illegal drugs in last two years | CTV News
Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caranna View Post
I have been watching the City council meeting this morning. They have adjourned for lunch break and will be back shortly. I found Councillors' Mammoliti and Minnan-Wongs' questions particularly relevant and interesting.

As for commenting on my marriage, I will say that, yes, I experienced this above-mentioned crazy-making type of behaviour in spades. I was also struck by how much my to-be-ex resembles Rob Ford in his behaviour. Hostility, anger, denials, refusals to apologize for what really happened.

LIVE UPDATES: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells council he’s bought illegal drugs in last two years | CTV News
I knew Denzil Minnan-Wong when he was younger, and he struck me as full of integrity.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
I knew Denzil Minnan-Wong when he was younger, and he struck me as full of integrity.
He did mention his daughters and said that he would do anything for them. He is a concerned parent, as I'm sure virtually all the parents are, and he does want Ford to go on a leave. This councillor certainly presents himself as a very conscientious and ethical person...wish he had been mayor instead of Ford.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caranna View Post
He did mention his daughters and said that he would do anything for them. He is a concerned parent, as I'm sure virtually all the parents are, and he does want Ford to go on a leave. This councillor certainly presents himself as a very conscientious and ethical person...wish he had been mayor instead of Ford.
Denzil is a devoted family man and a devout Catholic. But he isn't the type to run for mayor in this media age. I wish that weren't true, he is a rational, pragmatic conservative, not a crazy guy with a silver spoon and a sense of invincibility.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Thank God he has changed his mind.....

Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong 'seriously considering' a run for mayor | CTV Toronto News
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about city politics and I'm curious if there is a way to get rid of the Mayor of Toronto? How is this done? Do they somehow impeach him?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

There is no process for impeachment. The mayor can be removed by the province if he is convicted of a criminal offence, or if he does not attend council for (I believe) 3 months. Other than that, the province would have to enact some kind of emergency legislation, and they are very hesitant about getting involved at this point.

By provincial law, the mayor really only has 1 vote on council, and not other special powers. Council itself empowers the mayor through by-laws that give special powers to appoint committee chairs, etc.

Council is hearing a motion tomorrow (Friday) to strip the mayor of those powers.

Today turned his mike off while he was speaking. That is another effective measure.