Am I in A Common Law Relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trinton View Post
    women from foreign countries won't say no to a man from Canada, ever. They'll come with you enjoy all the great things, learn the game and take your money if they never really digged you personally .

you are right.. if you brought the property to the relationship it's yours.. what ever equity the property built since it gets divided.

Canada isn't the greatest country to get into relationships in.. unless you're dating a down to earth angel. Is she a down to earth Angel? it won't matter cause her friends will rig her up.. and the lawyers love it cause this is what they make a living off .. getting into people's business and taking their money
    This reads like Eddy Murphy's "raw": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5mIL3F5QDA

Comment

Originally posted by cigar7 View Post
      My understanding is that common law spouses do not divide the equity built up during the relationship. Only in a legal marriage is the equity built up during the marriage divided equally. This is the most significant difference between common law and a legal marriage.
      With marriage, marital assets get divided amongst the divorcees. What defines a marital asset depends on the family law in your province. Some provinces only consider assets acquired during the marriage as marital assets (Ontario). Other provinces include what was brought into the marriage PLUS what was acquired during the marriage as marital assets (Nova Scotia). Notwithstanding the above, some assets can be considered “special” and deemed a marital asset whether they were brought into the marriage or acquired during the marriage. An example would be the matrimonial home (most provinces). Other assets, such as a federal pension, have to follow federal pension rules, regardless of the province.

There are no marital assets in a common law relationship. Further, the Divorce Act doesn’t apply, as there was no marriage. Most provinces have no division of property in common law relationships (BC is an exception). Last I checked, QC doesn’t even recognize common law relationships. Under common law relationships the laws pertaining to property ownership apply – the owner of the property owns it. If all your property is in your name only, then you own it 100%, and there is no division. If you have assets that are jointly owned, then the property is divided. It doesn’t matter when it was acquired.

Being common law has nothing to do with the division of property, as assets would be divided up for any two or more people that jointly own an asset. That could be your friend, family member, co-worker, etc. What applies is that each person was a registered owner (i.e. names on a property deed or vehicle). The same would apply to debts (i.e. names on credit cards and loans).

With all this said, there can be exceptions. If the house is in your name only, but your partner contributed to it, then there could be an argument for unjust enrichment. A prime example of this is if the partner stayed home to raise the kids. Other examples could be that the partner helped pay for an asset that is solely in your name, or directly paid for other things that enabled you to be able to afford the asset in question.

Originally posted by trinton View Post
      not necessarily. not every women out there is after the mullah. and not every man out there is seeking a nurse maid. These are simply skewed perceptions of people following a divorce. I've caught myself guilty of this aswell. There are many great down to earth pleasant people out there. Not everyone is evil.

There is no universal law. Regardless we live in multicultural country. It all boils down to personal opinions and biases.
      “Not everyone is like that”….can be said about everything. There are always exceptions to anything that can be said. This is particularly true of social sciences. However, an exception to a statement doesn’t invalidate the statement.

I agree – not everyone is evil. Further, a woman who wants a financially stable man is not automatically evil. It’s perfectly fine and normal (in my opinion) for a woman to want a resourceful man to provide for her and their children. That doesn’t make her a gold digger, nor only after the “mullah”.

You say there is no universal law; however, I suggest you read about hypergamy.

Comment

Older Canadian women, just hate seeing an old(er) Canadian man with a lovely sexy foreign woman....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X