This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My posessions?

After my ex left, she had her father clean out my home completely, there were many things taken that I would like back, however my ex has refused to give them to me. I am currently without adequate furniture and appliances, and I have my son every second week now.

Am I going to be able to get back some of my posessions and even some of my sons posessions through court?

I am not in a financial position to replace these items and many have sentimental value as well.

Thanks
    Duped

Wow, that is awful. I'm sure you will be able to and there are lots of people on this forum that will tell you how...just be patient, someone will answer soon!

Comment

Duped,

Unfortunately the courts are not the place to get back your possessions. The legal costs would most likely out way the value. Unless we are talking expensive artwork or antiques.

Best is to try to negotiate with her, although she is acting very unreasonable.

You may be able to be compensated in some way on the equalization of your family assets as the household content value would be placed on her side. I also see that there is a bankruptcy involved which is way out of my league to comment on.

Anyway, good luck with everything, sounds like you have a real mess on your hands.

Comment

I suppose one option may be to throw this issue into your next visit to court while attending another issue, it appears you may well be back to court judgung by your comments, good luck. I don't believe it would take an enormous amout of your lawyers time to add. It is true the legal costs for this alone would most likely not make it woth while, I've had a very similar situation durning my seperation last year, by the way in the end I ended up ok.

Comment

Sounds like I am screwed then..

Basically it appears that the financial issue is hopeless, me ex has done a real number on me and I will get little if anything for equalization because of the bankruptcy and the high costs of retrieving my items. I just wish in all of this there was a way to have my ex father in law charged with B&E and Theft for comming into my home and removing everything.

btw, she did not accompany them when they came into my home and emptied it out, and they also caused significant damage to the home while they were here.

Not sure if that makes a difference or not. It should be a fairer system!

Hopelessly without
          Duped

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X