This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common law property question

hey all... sorry to waste everyone's time with this, but it will give some kind of idea of what I'm dealing with... it may be trivial to some, but sure isn't for me.

anyways, my ex left last year.. just packed up and moved (thank god) however, she left ALL of her possessions in my house for close to 5 months, I had to pack and store everything, and I even helped her dad "move her out".

She got ALL of "her" stuff, 1/2 of everything we bought together and her cat.

We also had a dog together, who has now been living alone with me for the last year, and she has been making me absolutely miserable wanting "visitation" rights.... she says she wants to take him to another city for "a couple weeks" and I know if I let her, he'd never be coming back.

Anyways, the still somehow thinks she has rights to this animal that she abandoned and has been "criminally" harassing me.. spoken to the police many times about her, she shows up at my house randomly to cause trouble and even tried to dognap him once and now she's threatening to sue me for the dog.

I've tried to explain to her that she lives in an apartment in a strange city, I live in the country with a big yard, and so on, trying to point out that the dog is where he belongs...

So.. sorry for the rant but I'm trying to get on with my life and it's quite hard to do while being harassed by an ex (I've lost 2 new women because of her games and bs).... anyways, if she decided to waste my time and the courts time, what would the likely outcome be, given that he was OUR dog, she left, and he's been with me every since?

Thanks.

Welcome aboard Stayingsingle, and your question is not trivial. In fact there is case law on this. Read on:

http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onca/20...onca10589.html
    http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onsc/20...onsc13126.html

Just thought I'd give our case law expert LV a break and look it up for him .

Comment

wow, thanks for the welcome and for the quick reply.

I only have a quick second to look over that stuff because I'm at work, but at a glance, it appears that it was thrown out and the dog stayed where it was?

Regardless, I'm not giving up my dog.

I'll definately give that stuff a thorough read though, but it seems to be jiving with some stuff she sent with one of her threatening emails where she totally contradicted herself and proved she's got nothing.

I just wish she'd grow up and get on with her life.

Comment

stayingsingle,

cite those cases that Grace posted and bring forth a claim of costs against the other party for frivolous and vexatious proceedings. The case was not only dismissed but affirmed also.

LV

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X