Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crim ref checks

Hi

Husband is in law enforcement, I'm a teacher He wants to include having to have any future partners crim ref checked and vulnerable sector. I assumed he would outstep his bounds and check anyone I date but at least I could call him on it. But to have something like that in the agreement? I'm thinking I'll just delete that line and I still have to check things through with my lawyer but thought I'd get your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Star7ontario View Post
    Hi

Husband is in law enforcement, I'm a teacher He wants to include having to have any future partners crim ref checked and vulnerable sector. I assumed he would outstep his bounds and check anyone I date but at least I could call him on it. But to have something like that in the agreement? I'm thinking I'll just delete that line and I still have to check things through with my lawyer but thought I'd get your thoughts?

That's a ridiculous thing to have in an agreement. Who you date is none of his business. You and the men you date have a right to privacy. Its total nonsense and unenforceable anyway.

Tell him to go pound sand.

Comment

It might be useful information for you... offer to add in credit check but only if he shares the information with you.

(tongue in cheek - I agree with PH).

Comment

Cops are control freaks by nature. Answer is no, what you do is your business.

Comment

He will do it anyway. Trust me on that one
          Don't put it in your agreement. I would think a thing like that needs to be reciprocal anyway.

Comment

Oh my god..NO! What a controlling bastard.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I took it out. And chatted with him about it. He recognized that it would seem controlling at least.

Comment

Yeah, it is a stupid and unenforceable request.

And even if you did leave it in, which any sane person wouldn't, yeah...so you need to get a background check, and what happens if something comes up? Oh yeah, nothing. Because you cannot be prevented from dating anyone you so choose simply because the ex doesn't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                  That's a ridiculous thing to have in an agreement. Who you date is none of his business. You and the men you date have a right to privacy. Its total nonsense and unenforceable anyway.

Tell him to go pound sand.
                  Well, depends on what status the matter is before the court. 35.1 requires that every person residing with a child who is not a parent produce a criminal record check and it to be filed with the form. So, technically, the court can ask for the background check for anyone residing with the child. But, that is in the case of an active Application before the court where custody and access is disputed.

Aside from that situation, its a waste of time mostly.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X