This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age And Conditions For Childsupport

IN SHORT: My son is now 19 years old, 20 in May and has only about 60 percent of his highschool credits and as far as I know not registered in school. His mother is trying to get him to register in a highschool program.

MY QUESTIONS; do I need to pay back support? Will I have to pay support for him if he registers at this point? And how long will I have to pay?

MORE INFO: I met and married a woman with a 6 year old child without a father. I adopted my son at the date of marriage. We had another 2 sons and now have 3. After 9 years of marriage we separated and my sons stayed with my x-wife. I started to pay her support according to the provincial guidelines. She worked and did not require spousal support.
    Now today at this point we have been separated for 4 years and do not have a separation agreement. Other than pure procastination a reason for delaying the agreement is the living and scholistic situation of my oldest adopted son. All the way through school my oldest son refuses to apply himself and by the time he made it to highschool he refused to do homework and failed 7 out of 8 classes every year. We hired tutors and would register him in summer school but he continued with the same effort. In June after his 16th birthday his mother kicked him out of the house because of his lack of respect for her and the school. He lived with a friend for the summer and I stopped support payments for him. By the beginning of the next school session he moved into my home on the condition he attempt an effort at his education. I adjusted support payments to my wife to allow for him living with me for her to support him. He started with a good effort going to school but then started to give up again. His mother and I both agreed that after his 18th birthday at the end of the school year she no longer had to support him and he should concentrate on working, pay a bit of board and go to night school if he wanted his education.
    In August of that summer he lost his job and negotiated with his mom to live with her for the next school year. She then demanded support for him from me. I paid for a few months but when they both would not supply me with documentation on his school activities I stopped support for him.

And now over the last 6 months she is trying to get him into some program to get an education and has hired a lawyer to get back and future child support for him from me. Am I resposible?

Try this link

This may be able to answer some of your questions ...

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/childsupport.htm

Hubby

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X