X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial exhibits - advice please

Trial scheduled early March 2020.
    I am Respondent

My Request to Admit has 250 documents. Most were refused or denied either the document, fact or both.

I am preparing exhibits now to serve on Applicant's counsel

Questions:
    1) Should I copy all of the documents from Request To Admit as exhibits and add others?

2) I was told by court counter to bring exhibits to the trial. Should I provide a full set for the court or just use my copies in court?

3) Should I submit the refused documents from my Form 22 as exhibits? Or refer to the document number as my Form 22 and all documents are served and filed.

Originally posted by Abba435 View Post
    2) I was told by court counter to bring exhibits to the trial. Should I provide a full set for the court or just use my copies in court?
    I think generally the answer is 3 copies:

1) You
    2) Judge
    3) Opposing counsel

Comment

4 copies. You’ll want an extra one if you have witnesses that are you so they can identify exhibits.

Comment

Documents as evidence

Documents that are admissible as evidence are submitted as exhibits during the trial. Admissibility means that the document is relevant to your case and genuine.

You can use admissible documents as evidence either when you testify or when you are questioning a witness who can testify about the document. If anyone disagrees about whether a document is admissible, the judge hears submissions from both parties and decides whether it is admissible.

Ideally, you should have prepared a brief listing all of the documents that you plan to rely on at trial, which is called a document brief. You and your ex-partner should exchange document briefs well in advance of your trial. If you haven’t prepared a document brief, you should bring the originals and four copies of all documents with you to court.

Don’t forget that you must let your ex-partner know about all documents that you plan to use at trial before the trial begins. See rules 13 and 19. If you haven’t done this, you may not be allowed to use the documents at trial, the trial could be postponed, or you could be ordered to pay costs.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X