Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• consent for passport renewal

Hello,

My final order states: "Each parent will give the other parent their consent to obtain or renew children's passports."

I am the parent who has full custody. I never have an answer from the other parent for kids-related issues.

I went to Passport Canada to renew my children's passports. For me, because the order says the other parent gave me his consent to renew the passport, it was clear I didn't have to run for a signature. However, at the beginning, Passport Canada refused to take my application.

After talking to three agents, they took the application, but I am afraid they just made me paid for it.

I would like to know if anybody had the same problem, if "giving his consent" means I don't need the other parent's signature or mens something else....

I saw that in the US they use a form "Consent form" that allows the other parent to get the passports without the signature of the other parent on the application itself.

thanks!

Info right from the passport website states that 'only the person with custodial rights may apply and that both parents are requested to participate in the application process so that either parent may be contacted'. Our consent on the agreement meant that we would not withold signing or delay the application process (co-operate). Believe that no matter what the custody is they do not want to issue a passport so that a child can be removed from the country without the other parents knowledge.

Comment

Children have already their passports, I traveled with them several times and there was no problem because the same sentence in the order also states "each parent gives the other parent consent to travel abroad". I have never had to ask for a signature to travel abroad. That's why I was a little but suprised when I wanted to renew the passports.

Comment

I have never had to ask for a signature to travel abroad. That's why I was a little but suprised when I wanted to renew the passports.
        A family friend works for the CBSA (border) and the most accepted form of consent is the 'letter of consent' to travel abroad with child. Multi-paged agreement/orders can easily be manipulated, however the letter would show the travel dates in and out of the country, destination addresses, contact info while out of country etc. The original 'ink' signed letter states the consent and knowledge of travel by both parents and it only takes minutes to fill out on the passport website. Just because you have an order that shows consent it does not mean that they know about the travel location or duration.

Another friend was going across the border with his children having a court order giving him permission. His ex was angry saying that he was removing the kids from the country, so they were waiting for him to arrive at the border. After six hours of sorting out the problem they were on their way again. The letter would have helped the situation and it would have given the authorities something to go back on. I do not travel without one.
        Last edited by Mess; 09-29-2013, 10:59 PM. Reason: to fix quotation

Comment

Despite what judges and lawyers like to write into court orders and separation agreements, you cannot be forced to give your consent to anything. This would be unconstitutional, and would be contrary to the actual meaning of "consent."

IMHO a judge's order should only state that the custodial parent has full authority to obtain a passport for the child.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X