This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life insurance for support

Does anyone have any idea what the courts decide to do for spousal life insurance if the payor has health problems that do not qualify him for life insurance?

I have been told by the lawyers there are other ways than "insurance" or monthly support payments. Now it is up to yo to negotiate what you feel comfortable with. Are there enough assets that can either be given to you outright or possibly be assigned to you in a differnt fashion (this is way out of my league at this point).

The big thing to get is there are many ways to ink out your settlement. If health is your concern - then plan for what could be the worst - support that stops when you need it the most.

As for the courts, I believe they can not inforce what is not there (uninsurability, work benefits ending to no fault of the payor). Again what you propose would be considered - in the end I will not comment on what a court will do - no magic to predict what a person (judge) will rule in the grey areas of the law.

I would accept anybody out there who can contradict what i said - I base my words not on fact but from the ton of reading and trying to figure out my own circumstance. Keep an open mind!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X