This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uttering Threats

I have been reading a few threads about being (falsely) charged with uttering threats. My wife recently did this to me as a lame attempt to gain custody of our kids that have lived with me for the last three years since we split up. The police came and arrested me in front of the kids, no questions asked. I believe she was told to do this as an easy way to get the kids but it didn't work, they are still with me.

I was offered a peace bond with restrictions, i declined, then just a peace bond I refused that too because it is a flat out lie so it is going to trial in June.

I would just like to know if I could get some replies from anyone who has gone through this and taken it to trial. I'm very ineterested to see what the outcomes were.

Hi Johnboy

My X sent the police to my house saying I threatened to kill him (shoot). This officer came to my apartment on or about 8:00 A.M. I let him in and he began asking me if I owned a firearm. I replied yes I did. He wanted to see it and it was then that I asked him what this was concerning. He told me my X called Police Headquarters and reported a threat concerning a weapon I have to his life. I got my firearm, all my licences, PAL, Outdoor Card, Gun Registration and proceeded to show him it was locked up with a trigger guard and that the ammunition was not in my home but at my sister's house. He came into my living room, sat down and we talked about the invents that let him to my home. He said "Carol I have no concerns but can I take your firearm on good faith until this is settled". I replied fine, I don't need it until the fall anyway.

The following morning I get a phone call from the Gun Registry Office in Toronto explaining to me that they will be sending a medical form to show that I am not ...mentally disturbed...on drugs....violent...dangerous to myself/others or unstabled. My Dr. was furious and said "this is a waste of his time...the officers time...and the registrations time. Needless to say I passed with a clean bill of mental health. I got an apology from the officer, the ministry and the female officer who returned my firearm.

I am now up for renewing my PI License. I now have to have a background check done to see if it will show up on my record. If it does then I will no longer be able to renew my license.

This is what the result of "spite" is. All this because I left him and I pay him manimoney and he's still not satisfied.

P.S. He also told the officer I attacked him with a broom handle. We both laughed at that one.

L.

Comment

The police are supposed to have probable cause to put someone under arrest. Meaning they have to believe that an offense did in fact occur. So just on the say-so of your ex, you were arrested and charged?? Did she have ANYthing to back it up? A text? An email? Something? If not - it's ridiculous that this has happened and she should be charged with filing/swearing a false statement. I had opposite problem. My ex DID threaten me, verbally and physically. And he was arrested - but he denied it anyway in any court docs after that, and to anyone that would listen. Definitely stay away from the ex. If she's capable of making that up and there's no basis to it, you can't put anything past her.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
        The police are supposed to have probable cause to put someone under arrest. Meaning they have to believe that an offense did in fact occur. So just on the say-so of your ex, you were arrested and charged?? Did she have ANYthing to back it up? A text? An email? Something? If not - it's ridiculous that this has happened and she should be charged with filing/swearing a false statement. I had opposite problem. My ex DID threaten me, verbally and physically. And he was arrested - but he denied it anyway in any court docs after that, and to anyone that would listen. Definitely stay away from the ex. If she's capable of making that up and there's no basis to it, you can't put anything past her.
        As per usual, we always have to remember there are two sides of the story. Why haven't these 3 kids been encouraged by the CP to spend time with their mother? Parent alienation works both ways.

Fortunately I have no advice on charges with uttering threats, false or otherwise. Either on the receiving or giving end.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

McD: there was nothing in the OP's post that stated she was without access. Just that the kids have been residing w/him since the split, 3 years ago. And yes, there are 2 sides (sometimes more than 2) to every story but there's nothing to indicate that there is any parental alienation taking place.

Comment

hadenough: before I reply to a post, I always try to check back on past posts to see if I can get where they are coming from. It would appear from the op's history, she is without access.
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Johnboy35,

As a man I am proud of you for standing up to this false charge! Under no circumstances do you sign off on false charges. False domestic charges and death threat allegations is now the most effective method for blocking a parent (father) from seeing his children and getting the kids and home. Every cop, lawyer and judge knows this and nothing is being done to stop it.

The only way to protect yourself is to bring it to trial and stop having any communication with this wack-job.

Lorac, you can chuckle at your positive outcome. The only reason your not in jail at this time is because your female ( not an attack on you personally). If you were male kiss your gun goodbye and if you had minor age children you wouldn't see them...period. This happens all the time and its sickening.

Johnboy35, private message me if you want help self representing this matter. Also don't hesitate to message if you wish to avoid future problems like this one

Good work buddy

Comment

Wow, I guess I have been very very very lucky. My ex called the police on me for assaulting her, they came and left and just asked one of us has to leave. It's funny how all this conflict is starting right before she moves out as we have a child together and it's going to go to court for custody.

I feel fortunate the cops didn't believe her. It was not for a lack of evidence I assume because my lawyer said they would've arrested me even just for something like verbally threatening.

Comment

Chris 2008,

Indeed you are fortunate. I have cop friends in 4 police forces and they all tell me that they are now instructed, from the top, on all domestic/death threat allegations ( operative word is allegation) they show up for someone is getting arrested..period and let the crown/lawyers work it out.

Often these false claims happen sometime on a Friday and your forced to sit in jail till Monday morning. Plenty of time for your partner to clean out bank accounts, furniture etc.

Until the charges are disproved or dropped ( typically 6 months or more) you are barred from attending the children's school, sporting events, your home.

All it takes now for her to "win it all" is phone call for false accusations.

Learn from your past experience, you are in very treacherous water

Comment

When the police are called to the home, they do speak (at length) w/both party's. My ex was not allowed to come back to the house (just once, and with the police to get his stuff) but he was NOT banned from communicating w/our child or from going to his school. As it turns out, he's interested in neither. There was a "no contact" order between he and I. There was nothing preventing him from using a 3rd party to arrange to speak with, or see our son. I know ppl do a lot of crazy things but it seems hard to believe that a woman merely has to "claim" there was a threat, and presto, charges. My ex is an abusive liar. He got off easy. First offense. They dropped one charge (of 2), court ordered Anger Management (that didn't help) and then gave him a conditional pardon, I believe.

Comment

Thank you sir. We are going to court for interim custody next week, and my lawyer said the fact that she called the cops twice on me is a big win for me showing that she is not open to being confrontational and combative as well as making up false accusations. Once is bad but twice is pretty bad in terms of her credibility?

My lawyer's main advice was stay away from her and under any circumstances do not be alone with her till we go to court.

You know what, that's actually right. The second time the cops came, the police officer told me you know it could be the guy protecting himself from his gf coming at him and he pushes her off, she hits her head on the wall and you're arrested. Simple as that. We have to make an arrest.

Originally posted by staysingle View Post
                      Chris 2008,

Indeed you are fortunate. I have cop friends in 4 police forces and they all tell me that they are now instructed, from the top, on all domestic/death threat allegations ( operative word is allegation) they show up for someone is getting arrested..period and let the crown/lawyers work it out.

Often these false claims happen sometime on a Friday and your forced to sit in jail till Monday morning. Plenty of time for your partner to clean out bank accounts, furniture etc.

Until the charges are disproved or dropped ( typically 6 months or more) you are barred from attending the children's school, sporting events, your home.

All it takes now for her to "win it all" is phone call for false accusations.

Learn from your past experience, you are in very treacherous water

Comment

But I assume here that he got screwed for any shared parenting with the kids though? However, I assume he did attack you and that in itself is not right for your children to witness so good on you. The only thing he hurt is his child in the end.

I don't think anyone is saying it's magic, it's just that people have seen it used as a "tactic" to gain control over the other spouse if the allegation is false.

When the police are called to the home, they do speak (at length) w/both party's. My ex was not allowed to come back to the house (just once, and with the police to get his stuff) but he was NOT banned from communicating w/our child or from going to his school. As it turns out, he's interested in neither. There was a "no contact" order between he and I. There was nothing preventing him from using a 3rd party to arrange to speak with, or see our son. I know ppl do a lot of crazy things but it seems hard to believe that a woman merely has to "claim" there was a threat, and presto, charges. My ex is an abusive liar. He got off easy. First offense. They dropped one charge (of 2), court ordered Anger Management (that didn't help) and then gave him a conditional pardon, I believe.

Comment

Chris2008,

Take your lawyers advice and stay away from her until your hearing is over. After which stay away from her period. Do not show up at her house or EVER be alone with her.

You know her best and what she is capable of. The fact she, as you claim, has twice falsely accused you may keep escalating till one of these charges stick

Two incidences I have first hand knowledge of.
                          1) Separating couple in the same house. She has a girlfriend over and is making dinner (they have 2 children 6 and 9). She asks him to go to the store and grab some milk, bread etc. He leaves and upon arrival home has 4 cruisers in his driveway. Cops barrel him to the ground, handcuffed in jail.
                          Turns out 3 superficial slashes on her arm (self inflicted) girlfriend testifies he did it ( Both children were at the neighbors playing).

Attempted murder reduced to assault with deadly weapon. Lost house , all custody, job ( MRI technician) ex wife moved 3 provinces away with boyfriend.

This shit happens, ( she has a borderline disorder)
                          2) Divorced couple ( one child 11) he calls over talks with son for 15 minutes. 1 hour later cops arrive, handcuff him thrown in jail for uttering death threats. Ex wife has girlfriend over and testifies she heard him threaten death over phone. Charges stick. He no longer is allowed to call his son, watch him or coach his hockey nor set foot on school property.

These two true stories are all false allegations that ruined two people and there relationships with their children.

Both of these men never, for one second, thought this could happen to them

Comment

Originally posted by Lorac View Post

manimoney
                            LOL!

An allegation is "probable cause". Just FYI

To the orignal poster:

This is what you need to consider. The Crown must prove that you comitted the crime "beyond a reasonable doubt".
                            This is a severe test, and not easily accomplished.

You must really look at what the claim is that happened, and contrast it to your version of the truth. Sometimes certain phrases can be left up to interpretation. For example, if I say "let's light a fire under his ass", that certainly doesn't mean I want to literally light someone on fire.

Juxtapose this to the phrase "He needs a kick in the ass". That doesn't mean you plan on 'kicking his ass', but it certainly could be interpreted that way by certain individuals.

So. Do you want to take an unknown quantity (the judge), and roll the dice on a possible outcome (acquitted)? Or do you want to agree to a pre-determined result that you know.

Just make sure the charge is 'withdrawn' if you agree to a peace bond.

And really. Hold out to the very last day - show up at court and see what the Crown says. Probably more willing to give you favourable conditions at that point then now.

You should really hire a lawyer. If you can't/won't - be prepared for trial and the worst possible outcome.

Comment

As for the access to the kids. The kids were seeing their mother up until the incident. AFter that, the kids did not want to go with her alone so I called CAS, they also had to come because of the whole incident. They interviewed the kids and myself. They went and interviewed my ex as well. CAS called me and said if the kids were not seeing her, the file would be closed. If unsupervised visitation was to resume they wanted to be notified. My ex suffers from mental illness (I don't know if that's the reason why they need to be involved or what). I went to set up the supervised access in November and she STILL has not gone to do hers.

AS for the charge....I have retained a lawyer and it will be going to trial in June. I am not guilty, I never said anything to her. She told the police that I called her and threatened her over the phone. She can't narrow it down to a certain day. It's seven week time frame. She said in her statement that she was so upset after that she went to stay with a friend for a week. They asked her who she stayed with and she said she can't remember. WTF? She was pissed off at me and that's why she did it. Her sister called me and said she was doing if for "revenge".

I'm still looking for some stories from other members who have been through this. Do I have anything to worry about?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X