• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent need advice

Just received from ex on court hearing, she asks for

interim child custody
    interim spousal support of $1300/month
    lots of expenses she intentionally drove up in the past several months(incl daycare, piano, unnecessary training classes...)

my child (age 9) currently lives with his mom and I'm paying CS.

questions:
    1. can i represent myself? or is it advisable to find lawyer to represent me? I'm worried my unfamiliarity with court procedure will cost me.
    2. how likely can i obtain 1/2 time custody?
    3. she has a graduate degree but is earning only $24,000 with a part-time job, do I have any chance not paying her SS?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

If you want 1/2 time custody, why does she currently have full time custody?

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
      If you want 1/2 time custody, why does she currently have full time custody?
      there is no court order on this yet but she brought my son when she moved out.

Comment

Originally posted by bcman View Post
        there is no court order on this yet but she brought my son when she moved out.
        I wonder why you let that happen given that you want 1/2 custody.

This is your number one priority. Deal with this and don't accept interm custody for her.

Each to their own, but my kids are out of town this weekend with their mom (I have 1/2 custody), and I still can't stand it even though it has been two years. I truly don't understand anyone who can handle less than 1/2. Get your son!

Have you talked to her about custody?

Comment

billm, i can't even talk to her about anything because each time she would get angry and shout so there is really no way for conversation.

Comment

go and get your child. If you want 1/2 time then you need to be spending 1/2 time now...the longer it goes without, the less likely the court will change "status quo" and your ex could end up with more than you.

As for Spousal support, depends on how long you were married and so on. But why does she want so much? Or do you make that much.....

In the mean time, document document document. And any money you spend on your child, document that...especially any money you give to your ex to pay for the child related expenses (not her expenses your sons expenses).

And go get your child, it is summer, he could be living with you and she have visitation. He is 9, he is old enough to know what he wants as well.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Now the motion hearing was set up to be in just a few days and I'm simply not ready for it yet. Can I reschedule it so that I have enough time to deal my work and also probably find a lawyer to represent me?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X