This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common-Law House Issue

I have been with my girlfriend for about 3 years now. We have a 14 month old son. In May, my mother passed on and left me some money for a home. together, my partner and I purchased a house. Both of our names are on the deed and mortgage. I paid the downpayment and all fees as she was on maternity leave and had no money. We are now on the verge of seperation. It is still a civil mutual seperation. I am wondering what can happen with the home. Am I able to keep the home if she agree's to it(Which I think she will)? If I am forced to sell the home, will I lose all the money in which I've put into it? I understand the divisions somewhat, but she was on maternity leave while we purchased the house, so she wasnt able to contribute. I am just hoping that there is a way that I can keep the house, if it is at all possible, for her to just sign off her portion to me. Is it possible for us to just sit down and agree to custody and support or is it better to see a lawyer? Like I said, we are still at a civil understanding at this point, and she is not the type of person to be a "gold digger".
    Thanks greatly
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X