• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omg this is a horrid story

I just came across this,

this is horrible

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/A...entence_060611

"But the couple will be eligible to apply to have their sentences lowered after just 15 years."

This isn't justice. this youngster had its whole life ahead.

"After last month's verdict, Ontario's chief coroner announced an inquest will be held, which will look into how the system failed to protect Jeffrey and the involvement of the CCAS."

"It is alleged the CCAS did not do a background check on the grandparents prior to the placement. Each of them has previous child abuse convictions."

if this is so, its time for this agency to wake up.

Wow!! The kid never stood a chance. Abusive parents, abusive grandparents... I hope someone is looking out for his sister, but she'll probably just get lost in the system again.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

It is only one case of many

I am a paralegal student I am 37 years old and was a victim of domestic violence for a period of around 8 years. I had a very abusive spouse and so I have followed both child abuse cases and cases of spousal abuse and death I wrote two important speeches on these topics. One was limited in time to 5 minutes so it could only touch briefly on the topic the other was 20 minutes and you would be shocked to hear the amount of infant deaths in Ontario at the hand of a loved one and that of a "wife". In London Ontario this month alone two women ages 33 and 29 died at the hands of their partners, the thirty three year old women burned to death in her bedroom in the house her partner started on fire, and the 29 year old women died from stab wounds by an x partner who was ordered by the court to stay away from her. Also in that same week a 12 year old and a 15 year old died along side their father in an automobile accident which the police ruled a " double murder," "Suicide" honestly if the sick man chose to take his own life thats one thing but he had appeared in court earlier that month for uttering death threats to his wife the mother of the children, every one said he was a good dad but he carried out his threats. These cases are growing and increasing and as they grow and increase I fee that people should petition the courts for tougher sentencing. I have attached a copy of my speech if any one is interested in reading it I can only attach part 1 as that is the allowable amount, however if any one is interested in the rest I will attached it to another post titled part two.

I took this paralegal course not because I wanted to be a "wanna be lawyer" but so that I could gain some personal knowlege on the laws and hopefully one day make a difference where laws related to child abuse and domestic violence are concerned. Thanks for reading Shell
      Attached Files

Comment

PS69,

Its a good speech

lv

Comment

There are HUGE problems with child protection agencies and is it just me or does it seem that they take protecting children from intact marriages more seriously than in cases where the parents are getting divorced? Here in Calgary if you call Children's Services one of the questions they ask right up front is "are you in the middle of divorce proceedings"... ARGH!!

Comment

Sean,

I would think the reason for that being is typical of most government agencies, they are short staffed and overloaded. They have insufficient resources to fully investigate every complaint and it may be somewhat of a screening process.

lv

Comment

That's true LV, but that makes you wonder how many cases of abuse are overlooked due to the automatic assumption that a party going through a separation or divorce is making their complaint out of spite.

Comment

Shell,

That was an excellent speech, thank you for sharing it.

Here's another horrific story:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._44?hub=Canada

Lindsay,

How true, if you are going through a separation/divorce too often abuse is swept under the carpet and not taken seriously. You get into the whole "false allegation" issues. Who wants to admit they are an abuser, easier to hide behind the "ex made it up to gain in the upper hand in court".

Comment

Lindsay,

I agree. these agencies need more resources, whether its people and funding to investigate completely.

Grace,

That is horrible. The ironic thing is the leniant sentence the people received in my eyes. Those boys spent a good portion of their life in a cage and in diapers.

lv

Comment

Paralegal_Speshell69, that's a fabulous speech. Please do upload the rest.

If you want, I can put this on a separate part of the site as well, with proper attribution to you, as otherwise it will get buried over time and an attachment isn't going to show up when someone uses the search function.
                    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

The Blackstock/cages case was in my neck of the woods. Horrifying indeed. Well, both were. All of 'em are for that matter.

As recently as 3 years ago, the Durham CAS -- agency involved in the Blackstock case -- routinely told parents who were victims of spousal abuse that they could find the child in need of protection, and remove the child from the family should the mother be unable to prevent her children from witnessing the abuse. All domestic violence cases are reffered to the CAS when kids are in the house. Nice eh?? They'd take my kids away from me if I couldn't stop them from seeing their father hit me, but they allow convicted child abusers to be foster parents without a thought...

ARGH!!

Comment

I believe when the police are called to a domestic incident, and children are in the home, by default the police file a report with the local CAS of that jurisdiction.

The CAS will review (screen) the report and perhaps start a file and investigation. They may conduct interviews with the parties and or children and take it from there. If there is no need for child protection, they close the file.

lv

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
                          I believe when the police are called to a domestic incident, and children are in the home, by default the police file a report with the local CAS of that jurisdiction.
                          Yeah they have to as the children are quite obviously in direct danger or "in the line of fire" so to speak,

Comment

That is just so horrible. I cannot believe there wasn't any investigation until now. I guess its similar to the ripple effect, from one generation to another. If the youngsters continue to be bought up this way, they might turn out the same way. Poor kids.

Comment

second part of speach

On January 4, 2004, after many interviews, the police concluded that Misty Hanney mother of 2 year old Rebecca was not guilt of anything related to the disappearance and murder of her child. However, police did charge 24 year old Melissa Babineau with 2nd degree murder, and indignity of a body, as well police charged Babibaus mother 44 year old Vanessa Babinua of Beachville with accessory after the fact.
                              Police refused to expand on the charge of indignity to a dead body, telling Sun Media to look it up in the Criminal Code.
                              The definition of the charge is broad and ambiguous under the code, but sources said it could mean a variety of things, including improperly disposing of a body or not notifying authorities of the dead body.
                              The pair were charged and remanded in custody awaiting a bail hearing. On may 13,2004, the emotional bail hearing proceedings began; Babinau not only faces the two charges related to the death of the toddler but possession of a weapon, assault and failing to provide the necessities of life relating to Misty Haney, Rebecca’s mother.
                              The judge denied bail stating,” one of the main reasons for keeping Babineau in jail is the seriousness of the charges.
                              "The nature of the crime is so despicable that society needs it to be taken very seriously," said Judge J. Morrisette. *(Note Judge J Morrisette was the judge in the Westley Solomon case as well.)
                              "In order to maintain confidence in the administration of justice, I order her to be detained."
                              Some felt due to the nature of the crime this was also in the best interest of Babinau herself, she would be safer incarcerated in than out on the street.
                              For sometime it seemed that this case disappeared from the spot light of the media as Woodstock faced an other high profile murder cases but for those of us who this case was close to our hearts it never disappeared it just seemed to take forever to get to justice.
                              In February of 2006 the long awaited trial of Babinau began Crown attorney Brian Crockett was relentless as a stone faced Babinau pleading not guilty and defended her actions saying the death was an accident, Babibua claimed that Becca had died as a result of choking on her own vomit and that when Babinua found the lifeless body of the tot she panicked. Babinau stated”, "I wasn’t in the right state of mind. If I had been, I wouldn’t have done what I did."
                              Babineau told jurors she was always the one who knew what to do, but she didn’t know what to do when she found Rebbecca that night.
                              "It wasn’t something I could fix," she said. During earlier testimony, Babineau admitted to putting the child’s body in a plastic garbage bag and then into a box before taking the box to the basement.
                              After Crown Attorney Bryan Crockett accused Babineau of smothering Rebbecca, she told jurors: "God knows that I put her in the bag, in the box and put it in the basement."
                              "I did not smother her.” Throughout his cross-exam Mr. Crockett had been unrelenting. He hammered Babineau for answers about how Rebbecca was lying in the crib when Babineau found her.
                              Babineau tried answering his questions, even physically moving her body into the position she recalled seeing Rebbecca in.
                              Mr. Crockett was unsatisfied and pressed for more details.
                              "I don’t know, I can’t remember," Babineau said, tears welling in her eyes.
                              She quickly collected herself and firmly stood her ground throughout her testimony, openly admitting to lying to police about Rebbecca’s whereabouts on Dec. 24.

"I am telling the truth now," she said. The trial Continued and on February 24th 2006 a jury of Babinaus peers found her guilty of second-degree murder in the death of toddler Rebecca Haney.

The verdict was delivered Friday afternoon in Woodstock. The jury also found Babineau, 27, guilty of committing an indignity to a human body. Jurors recommended the Embro-area woman serve 25 years before she's eligible for parole.

On April 25th the Woodstock area woman was sentenced and although the recommendation was 25 years with out parole the judge sentenced her to 25 years with eligibility for parole after 15.

Melissa Babineau, 27, was also sentenced to serve 18 months concurrently for causing an indignity to a body by hiding two-year-old Rebbecca Haney's body in a garbage bag and box found in the basement of an Embro-area farmhouse.

In sentencing, Justice Thomas Heeney said; Babineau's sole motivation was looking out for No. 1.

"She acted coldly, ruthlessly to mislead authorities to save her own skin, even casting suspicion on (Misty) Haney," stated Judge Heeney in A Woodstock Ontario Court House.

In court, an unshaken Babineau opened a crinkled piece of paper in her cuffed hands and spoke to the court.

"I am extremely sorry for my actions following the death of Rebbecca," she said.

Apologizing for her web of lies she told, but took no responsibility for the girl's death on Dec. 24, 2003.

"I did not at any time cause any harm to Rebbecca."

Misty Haney the girl's mother -- yelled profanity at Babineau before dropping her head, sobbing -- said later she would have preferred a heavier sentence.

"I would have liked the max," she said. "(But) at least it's 15 years I won't have to worry about her."

But she added, "My daughter is still gone."

The maximum penalty for murder is 25 years without parole and as much as five years for committing an indignity to a human body.
                              Becca’s life is over and her memory will remain in all those who knew and loved her, and through her death this sentence received by Babinau, I hope will serve as a deterrent for those who may be capable of committing such a crime. This speech was not easy for me to write, read nor sleep while preparing it, However Kathy Rebecca’s grandmother is my friend, and I felt it was important to draw attention to the amount of infant deaths that are taking place right here in our geographical area. Some of you mentioned that when you finish you wish to have careers with CAS In the cases I have researched in the death of children at the hands of a parent, step parent or partner I found that in most cases CAS has been involved. Both the under funding and staff cuts have forced the hands of this agency, It is my hope in the future that the Government will take a closer look at the persons who’s job it is to protect and speak as the voice of the children who can not be a voice for themselves will help to save and protect a life. Child abuse is a growing concern and the amount of lives lost is increasing; we need stricter penalties and more available agents. The laws need to be tougher, the funding needs to be available and the sentences need to be tougher we should not except “I was Depressed” or Not in my right frame of mind as an excuse to murder a child” or it was an accident you know when you hold your hand over the mouth of a screaming baby the results could be just that of little Donny Clubb.

In closing I have handed you each a poem that I found when researching these deaths it is called Sarah’s story; I ask that you read this when you are alone and have a box of Kleenex as I was unable to read this to you…. Thank you

Please put the speach together and where you feel it will not be lost I am not very good at attaching the speach and could not get it too load together. Thank you Shellie

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X