Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex husband paying girlfriend to babysit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex husband paying girlfriend to babysit?

Hi everyone,

Is my ex husband allowed to pay his girlfriend to babysit the children when I am available to watch them?

His time, his business. You don’t get a say in what he does on his time.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      His time, his business. You don�t get a say in what he does on his time.
      But can he claim this as a childcare expense??

Comment

Not if its under the table in cash...

If its on payroll and taxes are paid- then maybe....

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
          But can he claim this as a childcare expense??

If he claims it as a section 7 expense then you can dispute it but when it is on his time you can’t say anything about it. He can have child care on his time. You can’t demand he leave the kids with you. How would you feel if he said he gets the kids when you can’t look after them? It works both ways.

Have you disclosed your financials yet so you can move toward settling and you can try for a right of first refusal? Not that it would work but you could raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by arbortrail22 View Post
            Not if its under the table in cash...

If its on payroll and taxes are paid- then maybe....
            She is paying taxes on it. It was included in her income. But she's his girlfriend. How would this even qualify as a section 7?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              If he claims it as a section 7 expense then you can dispute it but when it is on his time you can�t say anything about it. He can have child care on his time. You can�t demand he leave the kids with you. How would you feel if he said he gets the kids when you can�t look after them? It works both ways.

Have you disclosed your financials yet so you can move toward settling and you can try for a right of first refusal? Not that it would work but you could raise it.
              I'm not disputing him leaving the children with her. But I object to him paying her when she's his girlfriend.

Comment

I'm not disputing him leaving the children with her. But I object to him paying her when she's his girlfriend.
                This is the first time I have agreed with you on something. A court will probably not consider it a reasonable S7.

Comment

How on earth do you know if he’s paying her? Not to mention it’s his money and he can do what he wants with it.

This is your biggest problem—your sense of entitlement. You aren’t married anymore. He can do what he wants and spend what he wants. Unless he is asking you to pay your share, you don’t get a say.

Comment

Ok fine, object here in this forum. But what are you going to do about it?

Comment

Originally posted by DHTO View Post
                      Ok fine, object here in this forum. But what are you going to do about it?
                      She doesn't have to do anything about it. The other parent won't be able to collect on the expense unless they have all the proper documentation, agreement or court order for S7.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                        She doesn't have to do anything about it. The other parent won't be able to collect on the expense unless they have all the proper documentation, agreement or court order for S7.

She hasnt noted if he has asked her to pay her share.

Comment

The question is, can it be a legitimate S7 expense? I think I have seen grandmothers being paid caring fees and being able to claim them.

I suspect if the amount is "reasonable" (ie. less than the prevailing market rate) and the girlfriend is otherwise giving up paid renumeration, a court might see these as legitimate expenses?

I swear I've seen a case that addressed this, I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                            I think he's trying to increase his section 7 expenses. He uses her to watch the children when he's working. My kids told me. I think he pays her around market rate for a babysitter.

Comment

Ex husband paying girlfriend to babysit?

I think he's trying to increase his section 7 expenses.
                              Key words “I think”

Is this on his financial statement or to claim from you? If it is inflated on his financial statement then it makes no difference since most of what is on financial statements is inflated. Again, unless he is trying to get your share, it’s irrelevant.

He uses her to watch the children when he's working. My kids told me. I think he pays her around market rate for a babysitter.
                              Again: “I think”

So your info is from your kids. You haven’t been provided anything directly.

You are getting into the (useless) weeds again. Not to mention you are trying to control your ex.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X