No announcement yet.

LEGAL AID gone wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the Judge in the case I posted that is crying foul because Judges see Legal Aid Lawyers all the time. Judges are stuck with the below:

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE
    (2) The primary objective of these rules is to enable the court to deal with cases justly. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 2 (2).
    DEALING WITH CASES JUSTLY
    (3) Dealing with a case justly includes,
    (a) ensuring that the procedure is fair to all parties;
    (b) saving expense and time;
    (c) dealing with the case in ways that are appropriate to its importance and complexity; and
    (d) giving appropriate court resources to the case while taking account of the need to give resources to other cases.

My Opinion (and I got lots..LMAO)
    Any party that is self represented against a Legal Aid lawyer at a Trial would be able to appeal any decision because it wasn't a fair Trial, that's the point of Law to launch the Appeal

Comment

Blah blah Legal Aid blah blah it gives you wings:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...51/#post157817

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...ed-goar-15625/

Comment

Lodge a compliant there's links to a formal form to fax in but the email address is "broken" in there website

Making a complaint | Legal Aid Ontario

Making a complaint

If you have a complaint, you should contact LAO’s Complaints Department.
        You can speak to us, send us a fax or an email or you can fill out a LAO complaint form. The Complaints Department can help you fill in this form.

Form:
        Complaint Form
        Phone:
        416 204-7104
        1 866 874-9786
        Fax:
        416 204-4718
        Email:
        complaints@lao.on.ca
        Mail:
        Complaints Department
        Legal Aid Ontario
        40 Dundas St. West - Suite 200
        Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2H1

Even though Legal Aid Ontario's E-mail address is broken include it when discussing matters with the Legal Aid Lawyer so he/she knows ...some manager is "watching"

add your compliant form to Court Briefs along with the Case Law from this thread if you think your being steam rolled by a Legal Aid Lawyer
        Last edited by MrToronto; 05-13-2014, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I find it ironic that Legal Aid's email address is "broken" in their website? I mean is anyone there actually working or have the number of complaints reach a point where they have just 'shut down'?

Comment

The compliants E-mail address for LOA is up and running now

Comment

Turns out ex's lawyer is not legal aid but is in private practice and retained on a certificate. What's this mean? Legal aid hired him on certificate? Does this mean they have more $ to blow or vice versa?

Comment

My lawyer takes on one Legal Aid client per year. All it means is the lawyer gets paid the amount of the certificate. Any charges after the certificate is spent is up to the client. Lawyer may or may not keep the client - likely depends upon what arrangement the lawyer and client make.

Comment

Thank you Arabian.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                    Turns out ex's lawyer is not legal aid but is in private practice and retained on a certificate. What's this mean? Legal aid hired him on certificate? Does this mean they have more $ to blow or vice versa?
                    It means that the lawyer is accepting payment at legal aid rates. In Ontario this lawyer still has to be qualified by LOA etc... and that the person paying the bills (for now) is LOA. Basically the Lawyer will accept government funds from LOA to pay for services at a government mandated rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                      It means that the lawyer is accepting payment at legal aid rates. In Ontario this lawyer still has to be qualified by LOA etc... and that the person paying the bills (for now) is LOA. Basically the Lawyer will accept government funds from LOA to pay for services at a government mandated rate.
                      Thank you so much Tayken.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                        Okay so what happens if the $300k party wants to settle without court or lawyers because they know if lawyers are involved they will have to pay what's fair? If they don't have a lawyer, which means the other party can't have a lawyer, the $300k has the upper had because they could be withholding CS or settlement funds that the $20k party needs to survive. So essentially the $300k party could get away with paying 1/8 of what they legally should be only because the $20k party needed something to survive on and couldn't go any longer without access to those funds.

There are always going to be people who abuse the system, it doesn't matter what the system is, people will abuse it, but I would say the majority of people don't. The reason you see it mentioned so much on here is because the people that are able to settle, even with legal aide lawyers have no reason to be here. Some way you see many people here going to court when statistics show a very small percentage actually go to trial.

Personally, if the majority of the tax dollars are going to people that actually need it and don't abuse the system I am happy with that, can't let a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.
                        i have been on both sides of the fence, i was a payor before and a recipient now (but so far ex hasnt paid a dime) so after being on both sides i can impartially tell you that the argument above is based on the assumption that the support system is fair, which it isnt.

if legal aid is available to one party, it should be available to the other as well, that would make the ground even. i was myself in the position where i made too much $ to not qualify for legal aid and too little to afford a family lawyer, additionally i had to pay support and the ex had me charged with false criminal charges which necessitated hiring a criminal lawyer further diminishing my available resources to even look after my own basic needs.

at the other hand the other party got legal aid lawyer giving them the upper ground in family court, based on this experience and seeing may other cases i came to the conclusion that it would be reasonable that if either party is eligible for legal aid then both parties should be offered the opportunity to be represented by legal aid, if one party decides that they have too much money to burn and can get a different lawyer then thats their choice.
                        but providing counsel to one party while the other falls into too much-too little category isnt fair and defeats the purpose of the "justice" system.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X