Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daycare payment issue

Hi all,
    My ex and I have recently had to settle a daycare payment issue going back five years. Long story short, it was discovered that he had been paying his proportionate rate of the full daycare amount when it should've been the net daycare amount for the last couple years, but also drastically underpaid the first few years of the payments. It turns out we break even in the end.
    Going forward we are trying to figure out how to add the daycare amount onto the monthly child support. He owes a certain percentage. My lawyer says the "common" way to do it is to base it on the net amount for 2016 - divide his proportionate share over 12 months and then just settle up at year's end if someone was under or over when actual numbers can be crunched at tax time. My ex says he doesn't think this is a fair way to determine it but also hasn't offered any solutions. He did not make his daycare payment last month as this issue is "unresolved" to him therefore he isn't paying until it is. So frustrating as he obviously owes something. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would keep it seperate from CS.

Figure out what percentage each of you must pay (including tax adjustments ).

Give him reciepts at the end of the month and he pay his proportionate share to you within 15 - 30 days based on that percentage.
    Last edited by trinton; 06-13-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

It will be separate from child support as that goes through FRO and daycare doesn't. He is struggling with it being based on last year's numbers even though I've agreed that it should all be rechecked at tax time and adjustments could be made then if the percentage was either over or underpaid.

Comment

How would you determine net cost? AFAIK the tax reduction specifically attributed to the child care expense is not indicated anywhere on your tax return or NOA.

Comment

Net daycare would be full cost minus tax credit. You'd have to do the actual tax return with the childcare claimed and then complete one with childcare expenses removed. The difference in the returns would be the net daycare. I think. At least this is how it was explained to me. From there you could figure out what the monthly rate should be for the next year. It seems like a tedious way to do things. This is why I am wondering what other people do to find the correct amount when the daycare payment is based around percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
            How would you determine net cost? AFAIK the tax reduction specifically attributed to the child care expense is not indicated anywhere on your tax return or NOA.
            The usual recommendation is to calculate your taxes twice. Do one calculation with everything, and do another with the child care expenses removed. See what difference it makes in the refund/owing. That's what's due to the tax reduction on child care expenses. It's easy to do if you use tax prep software.

Of course, sometimes you might have to trust your ex to do this and report the correct amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
              The easiest way is for the person who claims the child care deduction is to prepare their returns twice, the first time with the claim and the other without. Subtract A from B, and that is the amount attributable to child care.

You then subtract that amount from the gross annual cost of child care, divide by 12, then split proportionally to income.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                It will be separate from child support as that goes through FRO and daycare doesn't. He is struggling with it being based on last year's numbers even though I've agreed that it should all be rechecked at tax time and adjustments could be made then if the percentage was either over or underpaid.
                It is kind of vague, and I could see how a non-math person might balk at it.

Figure out what sort of difference there was in past years for net vs total expense due to the tax reduction. Say you generally get back 10% in your taxes. So offer for him to pay 90% of his proportionate share of the monthly expense, and then work out any lingering over/under after tax time.

He doesn't want to pay you 100% of his normal share of the full cost and assume you'll pay him back his 'overpayment credit' once you determine the net cost at tax time.

You want him to pay you SOMETHING. Tell him that paying zero is nowhere close to what the proper amount will end up being.

Comment

Daycare is paid proportionately to your income. We have daycare providers that do direct debit based on that split monthly. Daycare is not paid to either parent its paid to the daycare and you each get a receipt accordingly for tax purposes. No need to make this difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by len14 View Post
                    Daycare is paid proportionately to your income. We have daycare providers that do direct debit based on that split monthly. Daycare is not paid to either parent its paid to the daycare and you each get a receipt accordingly for tax purposes. No need to make this difficult.

This is not how my children's daycare does it. In fact, they have told me that they don't want the hassle of this as there is a 3rd child with my new husband and they don't want to separate the bills each month. Also, I'm pretty sure that only one person can claim the childcare on their taxes so how would he get his refund if he can't claim it? Even if he could claim it, our agreement states that I am the only party who receives the tax benefits.

Comment

I think Daycare place is feeding you a load of crapola.
                      They prepare MANY separate statements each month for each individual child. It shouldn't be a hassle for them. You are, after all, the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                        I think Daycare place is feeding you a load of crapola.
                        They prepare MANY separate statements each month for each individual child. It shouldn't be a hassle for them. You are, after all, the customer.

It's a small rural operation with a staff of about 3 people. I am going to try again for what it's worth because I agree it would be much better to have them separate everything out for the two homes.

Comment

Claiming child care expenses and receiving the childcare benefit are different.

If childcare cost $10 000 for 2016, and he paid $6000 and you paid $4000. You photocopy the receipt for your files and only claim the amount you paid.

Comment

If childcare cost $10 000 for 2016, and he paid $6000 and you paid $4000. You photocopy the receipt for your files and only claim the amount you paid.

Can you provide a link that supports your position? Unless there is a shared parenting arrangement, the primary parent claims the child care, hence why child care should be reduced by the tax benefit received

Comment

This isnt right. He pays the NET cost of the expense which means his portion of the after tax amount. She is eligible to claim the FULL child care amount on her taxes and then subtracts the tax benefit from the total they split.

Her ex is being a dick about it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X