Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

welcome to my world.

I've had the same frustration with MEP in Alberta. What I do know is that MEP is the collection arm of Alberta Justice. MEP can only enforce the Order. If my order does not have a specific monthly payment (including date due) then MEP is free to negotiate whatever they'd like.

Keep in mind these collection agencies are merely call centres. I know I have to go back to court to vary any Orders I have and have judge specify exactly what my ex will pay each and every month. There can be no ambiguity whatsoever.

Many judges in Alberta take the position that they don't want to tell MEP how to do their job so it can be a vicious circle.

Please don't post too much on this subject online as we don't want the deadbeats to glean further information.

I know Ontario is pretty far behind (not having an online system) but I do know that the collection process is pretty much the same province to province. If you want to know the escalation process you can get info on AlbertaMEPonline.

I think the provincial collection agencies collude and set their policies/procedures the same (I am no expert - this just my impression after dealing with them for past 6 years).

FRO Ontario should be able to give you specific wording for court order. Again, if you can't get it from them you can get it on Alberta's website.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:21 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
welcome to my world.

I've had the same frustration with MEP in Alberta. What I do know is that MEP is the collection arm of Alberta Justice. MEP can only enforce the Order. If my order does not have a specific monthly payment (including date due) then MEP is free to negotiate whatever they'd like.

Keep in mind these collection agencies are merely call centres. I know I have to go back to court to vary any Orders I have and have judge specify exactly what my ex will pay each and every month. There can be no ambiguity whatsoever.

Many judges in Alberta take the position that they don't want to tell MEP how to do their job so it can be a vicious circle.

Please don't post too much on this subject online as we don't want the deadbeats to glean further information.

I know Ontario is pretty far behind (not having an online system) but I do know that the collection process is pretty much the same province to province. If you want to know the escalation process you can get info on AlbertaMEPonline.

I think the provincial collection agencies collude and set their policies/procedures the same (I am no expert - this just my impression after dealing with them for past 6 years).

FRO Ontario should be able to give you specific wording for court order. Again, if you can't get it from them you can get it on Alberta's website.
The court order is very specific. Very. I've already gone down the road with all this once before, and FRO wouldn't enforce because of ambiguity in the agreement. Proportionate share, etc.

So, I went and got a very specific order. And, still....

I know he's gaming the system, he's been doing that for years.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Can you ask FRO to put in writing exactly what is ambiguous about your order? Does FRO respond in writing at all?

They could get him by the short and curlies though his passport. Bunch of dinks.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 PM

Just last month I believe someone posted that they simply wrote a letter to the judge explaining their situation and the judge altered the order. If you could find out from FRO what the specific problem is then perhaps you could send the judge a letter. Doesn't hurt to try.

I feel bad for you raising a child on your own and having a dickhead ex who won't do what he is supposed to do and instead who pays lawyer when he should be paying the court-ordered medical portion.

Visualize the FRO people... mindless people sitting in a call centre merely reading what the previous operator inputed into your file. They have their "script" and they seem to be sticking to it.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Can you ask FRO to put in writing exactly what is ambiguous about your order? Does FRO respond in writing at all?

They could get him by the short and curlies though his passport. Bunch of dinks.
There isn't anything ambiguous about the order. They just refuse to implement any other enforcement method in Canada but VAPS, and I feel the VAPS was contrary to the order. I don't think the judge intended for me to finance these expenses an additional 24 months as she wrote it effective the month we were in court. He just didn't pay it for 9 months.

He holds a Canadian Passport and works in the US, so logic would dictate that the easiest way to take care of this is through passport suspension. But they won't. They transferred the file to be enforced through the state. They claim there is wage garnishment, but they were determining the amount. Which, again, is clear in the order.

I just wish there was some manual out there ... I can't find any info on the enforcement measures, beyond a vague description of what they are.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 PM

No and you won't get their inhouse manual/policy/procedures. Many have tried to get it under FOI but have failed.

You should be able to go back to the judge and have the monthly amount Ordered.... July 1 $xxxx. August 1 $xxx. with absolutely no calculations/currency conversions. If your ex has a regular pay cheque and same employer then garnishee would be enforced. Because he hasn't paid what he was supposed to you can ask the judge to make the payments to include the arrears.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
No and you won't get their inhouse manual/policy/procedures. Many have tried to get it under FOI but have failed.

You should be able to go back to the judge and have the monthly amount Ordered.... July 1 $xxxx. August 1 $xxx. with absolutely no calculations/currency conversions. If your ex has a regular pay cheque and same employer then garnishee would be enforced. Because he hasn't paid what he was supposed to you can ask the judge to make the payments to include the arrears.
I see what you're saying there. Okay. But, I'm not sure I really want to drive down the same damned road again.

Ironically, the child support is reviewed July 1 and it is supposed to go up, primarily due to exchange rates on income. We had an email exchange on it and he agreed to the new amount if I agreed not to recalculate his share of the medical expense, which is fine I guess. But, I still don't have July 1, 2014 enforced yet!

Are we meant to keep going through the same doors over and over again in this system? I'm dizzy.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Serene is on a distinguished road

I say continue to bug your MPP.