Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:26 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

In a perfect world your suggestions would however this is not a perfect world. The bottom line is no proof no payment. Holding costs hostage because you disagree on the breakdown isnt right.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:36 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

These are games. We used to try and work around all the obstacles mom threw our way. To our own detriment. We have stopped. And guess what? A lot of the games have to...she can't play with you if you don't allow it.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
These are games. We used to try and work around all the obstacles mom threw our way. To our own detriment. We have stopped. And guess what? A lot of the games have to...she can't play with you if you don't allow it.

Yep exactly right. Thanks for advice
Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Straw poll: is it unreasonable to request transcripts? Or should dad be provided transcripts? Ive seen a few cases where the order was for transcripts to be provided with receipts.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

serendipitous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Straw poll: is it unreasonable to request transcripts? Or should dad be provided transcripts? Ive seen a few cases where the order was for transcripts to be provided with receipts.

If a proper lawyer / a self represented person did their due diligence, transcripts for kid(s) education should be a no-brainer clause asked for, and have written into any order. No Judge in their right mind will say NO to this.

So is it reasonable? It damn well is, and any party not willing to provide this to the payor, obviously has something to hide...which is usually the case with conniving / lying / vindictive <insert your own word>
Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM

My partner got a copy of the proof of registration. That was required for the RESP withdrawal. He was also provided a doctored statement of account. He has asked repeatedly for transcripts but as yet has been ignored.

He sees his lawyer next week. Having an order for proof of this stuff is on the list for discussion. Even that is a crapshoot as the ex doesnt adhere to the existing one. I just wanted to see if it was unreasonable to demand transcripts in addition to all the receipts.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

serendipitous is on a distinguished road

Am sorry....having a conditional / acceptance letter to a university / college doesn't mean you are attending it. Anyone joe blow can register to an online college, and do a print out.

Your partner needs to get off their backside like yesterday, no lawyer needed if they are able to read and write, and put in a motion / application for this issue. The am trying to get a lawyer excuse should not be used as a hold back.

If the issue is really important, then act right away. Again, as a payor, it's your God given right to have transcripts of your kids (whom you might only see once a month) education provided to you. Decision making rights might have been taken away from you because don't care / are incompetent, but education well being is one thing the courts still agree that even a moron with kids is entitled to.

scenario...

Your partner to the ex ----I need transcripts of the kids school marks, and attendance.

ex ----here is the registration

your partner.....This is not what I am asking (nice try though). I need their marks

ex.....oh, here is the registration.

your partner.....Again, I need the marks and attendance of schooling, not some bogus registration that doesn't tell me jack.

You get the gist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
My partner got a copy of the proof of registration. That was required for the RESP withdrawal. He was also provided a doctored statement of account. He has asked repeatedly for transcripts but as yet has been ignored.

He sees his lawyer next week. Having an order for proof of this stuff is on the list for discussion. Even that is a crapshoot as the ex doesnt adhere to the existing one. I just wanted to see if it was unreasonable to demand transcripts in addition to all the receipts.

Last edited by serendipitous; 05-07-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:23 PM

He hasnt paid anything yet which is why there has been no action. Hes not sitting back and doing nothing. I simply asked if it was unreasonable to demand transcripts in addition to receipts. The statement of account was doctored to take out identifying info. Its one thing to remove a sin number from a tax form so your ex spouse doesnt see it, its a whole other to remove identifying info to show a document relates to your kid.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Serendipitous is wrong. Postsecondary transcripts are private information - if the kid is over 18, s/he is the only person who is entitled to have them. It's not like a report card in elementary school. So the kid would have to get a copy of his/her transcript and send it to you - the institution can't provide it to you.

You can demand anything (including transcripts), but that doesn't mean you'll get it. I think that asking for transcripts as a condition of paying for postsecondary is unreasonable. The kid's marks in any given semester aren't relevant, what's relevant is whether s/he is registered full-time. A statement of registration will say whether the student is part-time or full-time.

It is reasonable to support the kid through the equivalent of a first degree and no further - so if the kid keeps enrolling and then failing courses or blowing them off, eventually his/her parents will say that's enough, we've supported your education for four years and now it's done. Registration plus tuition receipt should be all you need.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

^^ pretty much, this.

Kid is also perfectly entitled to removing his/her personal information from any information disclosed, such as student no., etc.