common law and I had threesome with her GF, now her gf is pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
    Unless a moderator removed a post I didn't see.
    yep they did
    thanks again

Comment

The people on this forum are not paid lawyers, rather they have gone to court and won and lost. Some have experience similar to your situation. Keep that in mind. There might be some people that you think you relate to but you don't want to give full information on this forum. All you need do is click on their name and select the option to send a private message.

When you ask for opinions from most people on here you will receive their opinon. Sometimes it isn't what you want to hear but it may save you lots of money in the long run. While you can receive support from individuals on this forum the most valuable information you will receive is advice from experienced people who have gone to court. We are not lawyers. If you want legal information you should hire a lawyer.
      Last edited by arabian; 04-15-2013, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I plan on seeing a lawyer, but I did want to know my options a little and saving a few bucks is always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
          Unless a moderator removed a post I didn't see.
          A moderator removed about a dozen posts you didn't see.
          Originally posted by arabian View Post
          When you ask for opinions from most people on here you will receive their opinon. Sometimes it isn't what you want to hear but it may save you lots of money in the long run. While you can receive support from individuals on this forum the most valuable information you will receive is advice from experienced people who have gone to court. We are not lawyers. If you want legal information you should hire a lawyer.
          This is a site that exists primarily for sharing legal information. He came to the right place. This is a not a site for you to proselityze. If that is what you want to do, you are in the wrong place. This is not your kitchen, it is a privately owned message board and you will stick to the board rules.

pupp1977 asked for an opinion about achieving sole custody. The posts I removed were completely off topic and inflammitory.

Comment

Originally posted by pupp1977 View Post
            I plan on seeing a lawyer, but I did want to know my options a little and saving a few bucks is always a good thing.
            She can't cut you out of the child's life or refuse contact with you.

You have an uphill battle to get full custody if she does not want to co-operate. To get full custody you need to be able to show factual reasons. You can't use things that were passed on to you second hand, you can't just say you think something is true, you have to be able to show proof. Because she lives so far away and you have so little contact, you will have a very hard time getting any kind of evidence.

The fact that children's services removed her other children more than once may play in your favour, but it isn't enough on its own. From your wording it sounds like the children are back with her and these were past instances? If the children were permanently removed it would carry more weight.

Your best bet for now is to play nice, but be firm. If your spouse isn't on good terms with her at the moment, keep her well out of any discussions.

Comment

That was my question...is CAS currently involved? Given the info posted thus far, I'd be surprised if they were not, or won't be soon, given the description of the "gf" you provided.

If this "gf" associates with people who drag other people behind cars, because they are "coked out", and has had her children removed from her before, then I think it's a fair point, to wonder, why you and your current common-law spouse, as parents, think it's a good idea to associate with her, given you have other children?

Again, I'm not sure what the other removed posts were, and I'm not "judging" (or maybe I am?), but I would certainly question what kind of info is left-out of your situation, in that you present to this forum, and you can be sure this will be asked of you, by any legal counsel you seek?

Given your situation, you really do need legal counsel.

Comment

Are you in contact with the CAS in her city? Maybe they could be the ones to place the child with you, once paternity is confirmed. Don't they deal with both parents in the case of a separated couple where one may be unfit? I'm pretty sure they try to place a child with the other parent or with other family members before a foster home, don't they?

Comment

Because the child is ordinarily resident in Quebec, the laws of the province will be relevant to your case. You may wish to research them or contact a lawyer with experience in Quebec.

If she is attempting to cut off contact with you, then the expectation should be that she does not want to acknowledge you as the (potential) father, nor share custody if you are the biological father.

A custody battle with a primary resident parent in another province is a long, difficult and expensive route. Be certain you have the financial war chest.

What may be your most likely route of success is to see the child apprehended by the province's children aid society, then offer yourself as a prospective kinship plan. However, your residence outside of Quebec will hamper this and may make it untenable.

If she is financially unstable, have you considered trying to bribe her to leave the child with you for a summer, or other period of time, and then initiating court proceedings locally under the guise that the child is with you? If she is prone to poor decisions, she may fail to protect her parenting rights in a timely fashion.

From both a cost perspective and success perspective, it may be cheaper and faster to pay her 4k to go to Europe for the summer, leaving the child with you, then to try to litigate the matter in another province.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                    Because the child is ordinarily resident in Quebec, the laws of the province will be relevant to your case. You may wish to research them or contact a lawyer with experience in Quebec.

If she is attempting to cut off contact with you, then the expectation should be that she does not want to acknowledge you as the (potential) father, nor share custody if you are the biological father.

A custody battle with a primary resident parent in another province is a long, difficult and expensive route. Be certain you have the financial war chest.

What may be your most likely route of success is to see the child apprehended by the province's children aid society, then offer yourself as a prospective kinship plan. However, your residence outside of Quebec will hamper this and may make it untenable.

If she is financially unstable, have you considered trying to bribe her to leave the child with you for a summer, or other period of time, and then initiating court proceedings locally under the guise that the child is with you? If she is prone to poor decisions, she may fail to protect her parenting rights in a timely fashion.

From both a cost perspective and success perspective, it may be cheaper and faster to pay her 4k to go to Europe for the summer, leaving the child with you, then to try to litigate the matter in another province.
                    Well, the truth is spoken. Sadly, I don't think that this is what most people conceive as justice.

I GET why the system is the way it is. That doesn't make it right. So much for the best interests of the child.

No wonder we have a judge (Brownstone) speaking out.

Comment

Well she refused when I asked the other night. Might just have to think visitation if my lawyer thinks it will be too tuff then. but the dna for sure

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X