Wooooww!! So now what??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooooww!! So now what??

I just got a phone call from a mutual friend (between the cl stbx and I) stating that the daughter in question (hers, not biologically mine but I was in loco) got into a huge fight (physical) with the stbx and is now living with her bio dad since January!!

Wtf?? Now what?? I get served on December 22nd, her daughter moves out jan 7 after the physical confrontation they had, the stbx, her lawyer, my lawyer and I have a 4 way in February and her lawyer and her FAIL to mention that said daughter is now living with bio dad??

Oh!! And apparently said daughter has dropped outta hs!!

Seriously!! How do I go about this now??

Ok..pretty obvious I know but how do I prove this??

You don't have to prove anything. Your default position is 0, unless THEY prove entitlement.

You may need to get some kind of official statement from your mutual friend. They may not want to get so deeply involved they will sign an affidavit, but gently ask if you may use their name.

DO NOT under any circumstances get into a one-on-one discussion with your ex about this. That is just a road to a shouting match. It is past that.

Your lawyer writes a simple letter to her lawyer stating that you have information that the child is no longer living with the mother or in school. You therefore require that all issues regarding the child be dropped from the matter. If the situation changes again, you require the mother to provide proof of the daughter's residence and school registration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
      You don't have to prove anything. Your default position is 0, unless THEY prove entitlement.

You may need to get some kind of official statement from your mutual friend. They may not want to get so deeply involved they will sign an affidavit, but gently ask if you may use their name.

DO NOT under any circumstances get into a one-on-one discussion with your ex about this. That is just a road to a shouting match. It is past that.

Your lawyer writes a simple letter to her lawyer stating that you have information that the child is no longer living with the mother or in school. You therefore require that all issues regarding the child be dropped from the matter. If the situation changes again, you require the mother to provide proof of the daughter's residence and school registration.

Ok thanks mess, I was thinking maybe getting some kind of proof from the school but I'm guessing they won't hand out any information as to when she withdrew.

I'd rather not involve mutual friend as I really don't want to drag everyone else into this mess (you know what I mean)...I'll ask for an official statement of some sort but I'm guessing it's going to be difficult

Comment

I'd likely do nothing, no letter or anything.

Should the topic arise at any point during negotiations, I'd state that you've become aware that the child is no longer residing with the ex and is also no longer enrolled in fulltime school, thus there is no entitlement on the ex's behalf to c/s from you.

Then let them do the dance and prove the child still resides with her and is in full time school.

If absolutely necessary, maybe get an affidavit from biodad that the child is now residing with him...that is if you are good enough terms to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
          To the OP....that sounds like good news and you might be off the hook for CS. How old is the step daughter and are there any other kids?
          Hey oink..she turns 18 this month, was supposed to graduate in June..wanted to take a year off before college (where my cs would stop) then go to college in 2014

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
            I'd likely do nothing, no letter or anything.

Should the topic arise at any point during negotiations, I'd state that you've become aware that the child is no longer residing with the ex and is also no longer enrolled in fulltime school, thus there is no entitlement on the ex's behalf to c/s from you.

Then let them do the dance and prove the child still resides with her and is in full time school.

If absolutely necessary, maybe get an affidavit from biodad that the child is now residing with him...that is if you are good enough terms to ask.
            Hey hammer..good point..unfortunately bio dad doesn't consider me in the top 5 😜. So getting an affidavit from him could be difficult

Comment

The whole bunch sounds like a class act. Wonder if the bio-dad has considered filing for CS from you, given that you were in-loco-parentis.

Now THAT would be interesting.

Comment

^I was just thinking that

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                  The whole bunch sounds like a class act. Wonder if the bio-dad has considered filing for CS from you, given that you were in-loco-parentis.

Now THAT would be interesting.
                  Lol..I bet that'll be next

Comment

"And these...are the days of our lives...."

/popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                      "And these...are the days of our lives...."

/popcorn
                      Lol..it's enough to drive a man insane NBDad!!

Comment

I have 10 kids...I'm already nuts by anyone's definition. Hell MY ex decided this morning to take a kid to a dental checkup, making him over an hour late to school.

The appt. Was for 9am. Her access ends at 9am. He was seen less than 6 months ago by his regular dentist.

/shrug

Stupid is as stupid does.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                          I have 10 kids...I'm already nuts by anyone's definition. Hell MY ex decided this morning to take a kid to a dental checkup, making him over an hour late to school.

The appt. Was for 9am. Her access ends at 9am. He was seen less than 6 months ago by his regular dentist.

/shrug

Stupid is as stupid does.
                          10 kids??..NBDad...you gotta be kidding me!!

wooow!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X